PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
The moment I first smoked a pipe back in 1967 was pure torture. I loaded up the corn cob pipe, I had just purchased, with some John Middleton Cherry Blend. By the time I finished the bowl my mouth and tongue were on fire. Even smoking Cherry Blend today will cause the same pain. Kept the cob but threw the tobacco in the trash. Didn't return to pipe smoking for nearly a year.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Looking back, it was about 1980, I was in the Navy, smoked cigarettes, and I was always fascinated by brands all around the world, so I would go to a tobacco shop.

There, the scent of pipe tobacco filling the air, the amazing aroma, and all the really beautifully crafted pipes attracted me, and that’s pretty much how it began.

Erinmore Flake, Dunhill EMP, and Royal Yacht, were the blends I started out on, and they were amazing back then.

Smoking cigarettes, then starting out on such fine tobacco blends like these, how could a person not love it.

P.S. On a side note, Erinmore in the 80s was very much a Pineapple like flavor, amazing tin note and taste, I’ll never forget it.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
My Grandfather smoked cigars. So I started with those. I served in the USCG in the early 1980's and had an old Chief during my initial training that always had a pipe in his mouth. I loved the smell of it, but can't recall what it was he smoked. So fast forward about 10 years later with my cigar smoking, there was a little shop near me that I would purchase my cigars from. They also had pipes and a few tobaccos. I thought about that old Chief and his pipe and thought I'd give it a go. I'm pretty sure it was Middleton's Cherry and Captain Black that I started on with a basket pipe. Discovered straight Virginia's and I was set.

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
Love these initiation stories!

I packed some of my Grandpa's Sir Walter Raleigh in one of my dad's old pipes and tried lighting up with matches when I was a high school student. The first and primary thing I tasted was sulfur - not the greatest flavor experience. After a few false starts and some tamping practice, I finally figured out how to let the match burn before applying the flame and managed to get some smoke flowing. The scent of the smoke was comfortably familiar, but it took me a little while to appreciate the flavor as I got the hang of gentle puffing. By the end of that first smoke session, I knew I wanted to learn how to smoke a pipe like a real aficionado. The experience gave me a warm feeling, secretly carrying on with a family tradition and learning to enjoy a pleasurable hobby.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Living on Sorority Row in undergrad, a favorite pastime was sitting on the porch watching coeds walk by while listening to music (porching it).

A fraternity brother and I decided to play chess on the porch so we brought out some comfy chairs and a board. We thought something was missing and walked 2 blocks to Campbell's Smoke Shop to get some basket pipes and started a mini pipe smoking trend that didn't last long.

I put the pipe down after undergrad and picked it up again last year for several reasons. I'm starting to get a buddy involved again and he's interested.

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
During lockdown I was working 12 hour days from home and was looking for some form of relaxation, always liked the smell of pipe tobacco and mini cigars so thought I’d give it a try. I bought a pear pipe kit off Amazon. In all honesty not a bad pipe at all. And I purchased some rum and maple baccy from a local shop which smelled delicious. Loaded up the pipe. Puffed away like a freight train and obviously burned my mouth lol. Also at that time I was drinking whisky along with it. Bad idea. Now 2 years later I have discovered the joys of thick cut flake tobacco which burns slowly with just a wisp of smoke. I also bought a cob pipe more as a joke than anything else but turned out to absolutely love them. So much so that 90 percent of my pipes are now cobs . It’s been a fun ride and gets more interesting all the time

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
I'd just get embarresed, and look idotic, if i told my own full story from 2 months ago, but I loaded up a MM harwood pipe with some 1-q and lit it. at first i thought it was a pain in the ass to keep it lit, and i didn't taste much, and went back to cigars. looked it up online and tried it again. turns out i just didn't know how to do it right at all.

with experience and learning what worked best for me, i now down at least three bowls a day. i used to think smoking a pipe was wierd and convoluted; i even took the words of poeple like steve saka too seriously when he would go off saying "you have to tamp it and do all this crap. a cigar is just cut and light." not to mention more showoffy than just smoking a cigar some how. i can't think of anything easier than smoking a pipe now adays. i litterally never think about it during any part of the process. packing, tamping, or cleaning never make me feel like this is a slog or anything. just sit down, fill it and smoke it. easy.

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
I'd just get embarresed, and look idotic, if i told my own full story from 2 months ago, but I loaded up a MM harwood pipe with some 1-q and lit it. at first i thought it was a pain in the ass to keep it lit, and i didn't taste much, and went back to cigars. looked it up online and tried it again. turns out i just didn't know how to do it right at all.

with experience and learning what worked best for me, i now down at least three bowls a day. i used to think smoking a pipe was wierd and convoluted; i even took the words of poeple like steve saka too seriously when he would go off saying "you have to tamp it and do all this crap. a cigar is just cut and light." not to mention more showoffy than just smoking a cigar some how. i can't think of anything easier than smoking a pipe now adays. i litterally never think about it during any part of the process. packing, tamping, or cleaning never make me feel like this is a slog or anything. just sit down, fill it and smoke it. easy.
I think many folk enjoy the ritual of preparing a pipe for a smoke. It forms part of the relaxation. The art of smoking a well packed pipe. I enjoy it. Anyone can smoke a cigar or cigarette. But it takes practice. Time and patience to get that perfect bowl. Love it!

Reactions: OzPiper and jpmcwjr

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I still recall that 1st bowl.

Undergrad and staying with a couple of friends during a term break in early 1970s.
One of them was very much into "cool" - Lennon glasses, hats, capes, pipe, snuff and bhang (smuggled through his father's diplomatic luggage).

Borrowed one of his pipes - can't recall if I actually enjoyed it. I certainly didn't smoke it right. Finished the bowl, got up to get myself a drink, and promptly sat back down on my arse. My 1st Nic hit. Remember feeling quite green and light-headed for a bit.

I must have liked it enough because I bought myself a pipe shortly after.

Being an impoverished student, I had just that one pipe for some years, and only one tobacco at a time.
It was only when I started to earn that I bought myself a few more pipes and "splurged" on tobacco to have 2 blends going at the same time.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
When my cousin and I were kids, somewhere around the age of 10, our Uncle showed us how to make mountain man pipes out of acorns and reeds. He also showed us how to find rabbit tobacco to smoke in them. A few years later, around the age of 15, he bought us a big tub of Captain Black White and a Grabow. I think we made it through most of the tub before we got tired of it. I wish I knew what happened to that pipe.
I started seriously smoking a pipe about 12-13 years ago. I bought a cheap little nose warmer no-name Italian briar and some house blend cavendish from my local B&M. It didn’t take long after that before I was neck deep in pipes and tobacco ….

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
My brother and I, along with several of my brothers-in-law and nephews, decided to have a “man weekend”. We shot guns, made BBQ, drank home brew, and played yard games.
My brother gifted each of us with a pipe. Cheap little Joy Old Elf’s, but hey, kinda cool and fit the “manly man” theme.
We sat around smoking pipes for the first time, all of us. None of us knew a damn thing about it. Couldn’t keep them lit, got tongue bite to the point of it being tongue burn, and had more un-burned tobacco than ash in the trays. Very fond memory, to be honest.
We all still smoke, however I’m the only one who’s gone nose over toes for it.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’d watched older men smoke pipes all my life, and loved the smell.

Nellie Butcher, who operated a good Christian pool hall (no booze, gambling, or swearing allowed, except the old men in the back could play low stakes dominoes) would discreetly sell cigarettes to any boy who was 14.

Nellie also had rack of Missouri Meerschaum pipes and sold tins of Prince Albert, Velvet, and pouches of Half and Half.

My first pipe was a Missouri Meerschaum for less than a dollar and the pouch of Half and Half cost a quarter.

I just finished a Lee Three Star full of Half and Half, and I promise you that blend hasn’t changed any since 1972.

Everybody would smoke Half and Half in a pipe, if they didn’t worry about status and didn’t care about the health risks, and a far better world this would be.:)