Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Well, I've never been all that focused on the coloring, but I do have white ones that are classic shapes and I let those be the coloring projects. When it comes to these elaborate carvings it's just not something that factors in for me...the sculpture itself is what it's all about.
I'm guessing some of those elaborate ones are so heavy and cumbersome it would be a challenge to smoke them 500 to 1,000 times so they would color. They sure are pretty to look at though.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm guessing some of those elaborate ones are so heavy and cumbersome it would be a challenge to smoke them 500 to 1,000 times so they would color. They sure are pretty to look at though.
Yeah it would seem kind of futile to be concerned about coloring one of those...for me at least. But for a long time I was smoking only the lighter classic shapes and always clenching...but that first Yanik I purchased, the Celtic Knot, has caused me to rediscover the experience of a sitter.

When I bought it I thought I would probably smoke it very seldom and primarily just wanted it for the carving...but I've found myself really enjoying smoking it on most evenings as the last smoke...the tactile element adds a dimension to the overall experience and smoking a large sitter sort of forces you to relax more.

Yanik 1.jpg
Yanik 4.jpg

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yeah it would seem kind of futile to be concerned about coloring one of those...for me at least. But for a long time I was smoking only the lighter classic shapes and always clenching...but that first Yanik I purchased, the Celtic Knot, has caused me to rediscover the experience of a sitter.

When I bought it I thought I would probably smoke it very seldom and primarily just wanted it for the carving...but I've found myself really enjoying smoking it on most evenings as the last smoke...the tactile element adds a dimension to the overall experience and smoking a large sitter sort of forces you to relax more.

View attachment 195200
View attachment 195201
I really like that pipe!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So about a month ago, I had talked to Mustafa at Astas Meerschaum pipes about commissioning a tamper. It was going to be a replica of my old man tampers my friend made me. Well I waited weeks for him to find the right size stone.

So then I decided to back out of that, and buy a billiard meer, and a cigarette holder instead. I was just waiting for the funds to come in. Then today I thought, if I have to quit smoking after my surgery for a month or two, then I might as well not start smoking cigarettes again.

It's been my plan for years to only smoke a pipe.

So today I just asked him if I could get the billiard instead, and he mentions he found the right size "stone" for my tamper.

So after many mind changes, my old man meerschaum tamper, along with a straight billiard, are one step closer to being on their way! Still gotta wait for him to carve it, but it's set in stone finally!

Both pics have been shown multiple times, but once more won't hurt.

The meer I'm getting.
Screenshot_20230309-171815~2.png
And my original tamper that went missing, that my meerschaum one is being modeled after.

PXL_20220205_151552691.jpg

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
So about a month ago, I had talked to Mustafa at Astas Meerschaum pipes about commissioning a tamper. It was going to be a replica of my old man tampers my friend made me. Well I waited weeks for him to find the right size stone.

So then I decided to back out of that, and buy a billiard meer, and a cigarette holder instead. I was just waiting for the funds to come in. Then today I thought, if I have to quit smoking after my surgery for a month or two, then I might as well not start smoking cigarettes again.

It's been my plan for years to only smoke a pipe.

So today I just asked him if I could get the billiard instead, and he mentions he found the right size "stone" for my tamper.

So after many mind changes, my old man meerschaum tamper, along with a straight billiard, are one step closer to being on their way! Still gotta wait for him to carve it, but it's set in stone finally!

Both pics have been shown multiple times, but once more won't hurt.

The meer I'm getting.
View attachment 210257
And my original tamper that went missing, that my meerschaum one is being modeled after.

View attachment 210259

Nice! And well done sticking to your guns on the cigarettes.