PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I've done that too. That's the one at 11 o'clock in the 1st picture which is now totally shit brown. I'll dig it out later and photograph it for you lot just so everyone is happy. My dear late friend Dave had a couple of unsmoked 19th century ones I gifted him as birthday gifts over the years that really turned a mahogany color after he had run a ton of brown twist through them. Sadly I don't have pictures to share.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Slight Tragedy ---
I dug out the Pioneer Meerschaum and had a near perfect 1/2 bowl of very dry Old Toby. I say near perfect because it didn't smoke much below the draft hole so I dumped it. On the way in the back door ... I suffered the infamous Peterson Drop wherein the stem stayed in my mouth but the bowl dropped off hitting the floor ! It hit at an angle that sheered the tenon just inside the shank. So ... bowl is fine but tenon sheered in half. Now either it is made of cheap plastic or ... it may have been broken prior to my purchasing it new and glued ... I only say this because both sides of the break are shiny like onyx.

Since the Tanzanian Meerschaum is no longer available and since Pioneer is long out of business, I think i should have this break repaired professionally rather than attempt to glue it myself.

Whom would you recommend for this type of repair ?

I don't have pictures yet as I'm recharging my camera battery.

What do you think I should do ? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you !

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
please just step away from the Super Glue tube
Fax machines, shredders, copiers, gadgets, the odd car part ... yes! My pipes ? especially one that is 35 yrs old and irreplaceable ? ... never ! I'll call Briarville on Monday and schedule something for after the holidays. 👍
Thanks very much ! will do ! (My first thought: ... :oops: ... :eek: ... :poop: !)

Finally, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone !!!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Sinan Altinok: Thank you. The tip of the iceberg I am afraid. Sadly the 'cutty' collecting contingent on here is getting a little thin on the ground these days. I always have a lot of respect for people who just collect one type of pipe and identify with it be it Dunhill or one of the Italian or French makes. My good friend Ramazan from Meerschaum Depot borrowed quite a few of my meerschaum 'cutty' pipes to copy for his current line of pipes you see on his Ebay Store.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Since I just bot a new meer a couple days ago, I am NOT going to buy this one, but looks pretty darn good to me at the price. Somebody is going to buy it.
A745998F-DC8A-37AB-4FA2BB26CDD1108E.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Since I just bot a new meer a couple days ago, I am NOT going to buy this one, but looks pretty darn good to me at the price. Somebody is going to buy it.
A745998F-DC8A-37AB-4FA2BB26CDD1108E.jpg
Given current price increases, $258 doesn't seem too high for that...especially since the carving is a cut above average for a claw. Most claws don't appeal to me because they're so common and usually not all that detailed, but this one stands out a bit.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I am certainly a meer newbie! I have not seen under $130 new Altinay's online... (These start at $250!) Where do i need to look?
I'd be patient and save your money for a quality Meer. There is a difference. My Altinay and Altinok were both purchased for around $235 and worth every penny. I smoke both every day, they smoke fantastic. Wait to buy the one that appeals to you and is the size and shape you like. I'd rather have five pipes I really like than 100 I'm ambivalent about.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I am certainly a meer newbie! I have not seen under $130 new Altinay's online... (These start at $180!) Where do i need to look?
The least expensive Altinays are rather small. If that's what you want you can get one that cheap...tobaccopipes, as already suggested. Their large sizes are worth the price IMO, but everything is more expensive now than the recent past...and that is not likely to change. Prices will probably only continue to rise, so.......

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
@didimauw I do like the 'raised' outlines of the teardrops on your pipe!
Below is the new one I purchased a couple days ago from a B&M store for $139. I couldn't not buy it at the price! And is not so small (chamber is 19mm x 41mm).
IMG_2861.jpg
IMG_2864.jpg
According to the good folks at SMS (based in WA state) this was carved in ~2008 by
Hüseyin Şekercioğlu. exerpted: "In 1976, Hüseyin moved to Eskişehir. Within a few months, he began learning the pipe making trade as a sander and stem finisher under Master Carver Necdet Altınay. In 1979, younger brother Mustafa joined Hüseyin in Eskişehir at the age of fourteen. He was also employed as a pipe finisher at the Altınay shop. In 1982, he began three years of lattice finish work. Hüseyin and Mustafa eventually learned all the aspects of pipe making. Both brothers joined resources and formed their own company in 1987. Since 1996, the Şekercioğlu Brothers formed separate companies and employ other relatives in their businesses. The Şekercioğlu Brothers produce most of the meerschaum shapes for SMS Pipes."