PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I'm struggling real hard now, looking at another meer. Heart pounding, sweaty palms type thing. Good thing I don't have enough money

Yet.
just smoke the hell outta the ones you have! Hard to color em with 20 of the things layin around. I feel you though they’re fun to acquire. I’m probably going to limit myself to one pipe per year from now on as I feel I have a good stable now. 12 or so pipes I smoke regularly.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
just smoke the hell outta the ones you have! Hard to color em with 20 of the things layin around. I feel you though they’re fun to acquire. I’m probably going to limit myself to one pipe per year from now on as I feel I have a good stable now. 12 or so pipes I smoke regularly.
That's a very good point. The coloring must continue.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That Astas meer is freakin gorgeous. I’d smoke that thing till the cows come home.
Thanks! I think so too. You referring to the yellow stemmed one?I'm waiting till I get a new stem. Maybe it's all in my head, but polyester shirts make me itchy. And I've been noticing that this polyester stem makes my mouth itchy and warm. The new stem will be acrylic. I'm hoping that solves it.

Also, I'm still just trying to find the perfect one. Narrowing down shapes, bends, carving or not, sizes, etc. All part of the fun of the hunt. I'm getting real close!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I think I've worked out a plan. Only buy lattice carved estate pipes with auburn stems. So far in the past six months I've only seem two of those.

View attachment 186394View attachment 186395
Why estates?
I do really like the lattice pipes, but my AKB I had, I just hated so much lol. Just an uncomfortable shape to me. Need more bend I guess. This Altinay should be The one.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
New meerschaums went beyond what I'm willing to pay for them this year. The IMP reverse calabash that I bought for $295 in January jumped up to $420 just for an example. The older ones tend to be a bit larger, have more comfortable stems, and don't have that plastic feel to them.
"Dying art" and all, but $400 for non-artisan quality stemwork is absurd. If they learn to make real good stems (ebonite too) and stuff, then it can be fair, but that's not happening.