PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I've come to find, as time has gone on, that I'm much more inclined to make the time to relax and have a smoke when I have a small pipe that only takes 20 or 30 minutes to smoke. In the hustle and bustle of modern life it can be difficult to dedicate an hour or more to smoking your pipe, so I've found myself gravitating towards small pipes that offer a break for leisure more compatible with a busy schedule.

Sure, I could just load a larger pipe half full, but there's something that's just more gratifying about sitting down and smoking a full bowl of pleasant tobacco in a pipe sized for your needs. With that in mind, I've spent the past couple years collecting small pipes as I found them, and with the Rattray's Blower's Daughter I got in the mail today I now feel like my small pipe collection is finally complete!

From left to right, here's my little assortment and the blend styles I'm dedicating them to:

Morgan Bones Milan - Aromatics
Rossi Piccolo - English blends
Rattray's Blower's Daughter - Virginias & VaPers
Dr. Grabow Lark (2002) - Burley blends
Peterson Junior Rusticated Billiard - Lakelands
AKB Meerschaum Wolf - Whatever the heck I feel like smoking

20240327163212_IMG_4846~2.JPG

How about you? Are you a fan of small pipes, and if so which are your favorites?puffy

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I have 10 pipes currently (number eleven is backordered, will hopefully have it by my b-day), and it's pretty much an even split between large bowls and small ones. Three of the larges were gifts from friends--I probably never would've sought them out myself.

That said, I'm with the OP on this one all the way. I favor smaller chambered pipes, as I currently prefer smokes on the shorter end (especially living in a place where weather is often a major factor), and I only find a larger chamber more useful when I'm golfing. Of course, I say the word "currently" knowing that this could change at the drop of a hat...and it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Love the pic! I see three of my absolute favorite blends there, two through four. 👍

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I only smoke small pipes. Anything too large gets shipped off quickly. I've tried em all.

I have enough to last me a while, so I don't mind talking about it. But the Ropp Etudiant billiard is the pipe I've always been looking for. Thin short and light. Close second is the Ropp vintage line. My billiard with bone stem is a fantastic tiny pipe. (Even if it has a weird draft hole)

I don't even consider a pipe if it's over 5 1/2"

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
As a new smoker I am having trouble discerning pipe sizes online. I bought a pipe online that was described as a “medium” sized pipe, I read all the dimensions and when it arrived it just seemed tiny. Then I see a churchwarden online and I’m intimidated because it seems enormous!

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I only smoke small pipes. Anything too large gets shipped off quickly. I've tried em all.

I have enough to last me a while, so I don't mind talking about it. But the Ropp Etudiant billiard is the pipe I've always been looking for. Thin short and light. Close second is the Ropp vintage line. My billiard with bone stem is a fantastic tiny pipe. (Even if it has a weird draft hole)

I don't even consider a pipe if it's over 5 1/2"
Do you have a side by side of the Ropp J07 and the Ropp 275? The 275 stem didn't quite clench right for me.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Around 2018 I came to realize I prefer a lighter pipe, 30g tops unless it's 3/4 or full bent.
The majority of mine are 5" or a bit shorter.
Some have very small bowls - others quite a bit larger.

My favorites tend to be classically shaped but scaled down.
These are the same things I’m starting to realize. I still love big, chubby honkers (talking tobacco pipes in case anyone had any doubts) but I just don't reach for them as often as my teeny weenies (still referring to tobacco pipes).

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
As a new smoker I am having trouble discerning pipe sizes online. I bought a pipe online that was described as a “medium” sized pipe, I read all the dimensions and when it arrived it just seemed tiny. Then I see a churchwarden online and I’m intimidated because it seems enormous!
Look for sellers that post dimensions, most will post chamber diameter, depth and overall length and height at the least. I like to know weight too.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Yes you have to check measurments. I recently was impulsive and did not. It was a Damanio Rovera (or Ardor) pipe. Its really nice but I may sell it. Unless I decide I want a smaller pipe I will wait to smoke it. It probably would be good for some flakes and cubes that burn really slow. I typically like a 40-50 minute smoke

Reactions: BenMN and AreBee