PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I just gotta say, even though I just received another good sized order of DT Sweet Vanilla Honedew and GH&C Bobs Chocolate Flake, the bowl of Haunted Bookshop I had last night really hit the spot for a non-aro. It had been a while since I'd had some and man was it good. I really ought to enjoy it more often even though the nic will get to me a little if I have an empty stomach.

If all I ever smoked were aromatics it might dull my palate or at a minimum just bore me. Good non-aros are like pickled ginger with sushi. I love it and it helps to cleanse the palate but it's not something I want all the time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's not even close in the overall pipe tobacco market. Sales are about 95% aromatics, from a dependable master blender and sometime Forums member. I favor non-aromatic, and when I smoke aromatics I like them "tobacco forward." But aromatics keep the pipe tobacco business going. That's why there are so so many varieties with every imaginable flavor profile. I have one made of marula fruit, which is said to ferment and make elephants intoxicated. I prefer Irish whiskey, rum, and bourbon, and liqueurs.

Reactions: BROBS and JOHN72

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I favor non-aromatic, and when I smoke aromatics I like them "tobacco forward." But aromatics keep the pipe tobacco business going.
Any suggestions for someone who hasn’t smoked a lot of aromatics? I’m feeling pretty good about my improved technique with Virginia’s and want to mix it up with an aromatic from time to time.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Though I am a devoted burley smoker, I was disappointed with Sir Walter Raleigh original, but then I tried their SWR Aromatic and was surprised. It's a little different than their original. It has the burley base, with Virginias as a condiment, and is flavored with three liqueurs, which is pretty refined for a codger brand blend. You can sample it in a pouch to see if you can like it before thinking about a tub. That would be my first suggestion. I also like Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, though it took some aging and a second pouch to decide I really like it. Also, believe it or not, that rough cut Kentucky burley, Granger, is technically an aromatic, flavored wth molasses, but again you may need to cultivate the taste for it. You have to decide how you feel about vanilla, which I like in C'est La Vie, and cherry, which I haven't liked so well. After those, there is a world of aromatics, and it is a matter of sampling small quantities to see what you like. I haven't tried Lakelands aromatics with their rose geranium flavoring that is infamous for ghosting pipes. It sounds pretty cloying to me, but there are those who couldn't live without it. Others call it grandma's bathmat.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Any suggestions for someone who hasn’t smoked a lot of aromatics? I’m feeling pretty good about my improved technique with Virginia’s and want to mix it up with an aromatic from time to time.
For a nice mild aromatic I really like GH&C American Delight.

For an almost over the top berry aromatic DT Devil's Holiday. It's like smoking a mixed berry pie.

For a VA that isn't listed as an aromatic but has a nice sweetness and slight fruit flavor added to it I love Capstan Gold flake.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
weirdly I am going to jury selection. I think it might be for a really sad case I might to say I actually knew the dead guy. Especially since I already have an opinion (not the cops fault but not wow they should have sent). But we will see.

Reactions: JOHN72

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Not wanting to confuse this thread, but the Brits classify Latakia and Balkan blends as "aromatics"

Like many have posted, while I smoke English/Balkan and VaPers
90% of the time, I occasionally finish with an aromatic - like having a dessert at the end of the meal.

Wine-wise, most people when surveyed say they only drink "dry" wines. But when faced with a blind tasting, often pick wines with residual sugar. A port, German Mosel or Sauterne is a wonderful drink in the right context.
I didn't know we did that I thought we called Latakia blends English. Balkan blends Balkans. Anything with a topping semi aromatic. Then something like Solani Festival which I had a sample of this week we call that full blown aromatic.

Barred-owl

Lurker
Feb 6, 2021
Every Aromatic I’ve tried closes up my sinuses. Not a fan at all. Some smell wonderful but They irritate my upper respiratory system something fierce.