PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When did aromatics become dominant in the pipe tobacco world?
Likely from day one. Tobacco was sometimes placed in liquor barrels for shipping and smokers found the flavor of both smoking it and chewing it agreeable. Some are introduced to pipe smoking with aromatics and some gravitate toward them after some time and experience with smoking a pipe. More aromatics are available than non and have been keeping unflavored blends in production for decades. I find the terminology a bit odd though because when I first started smoking, aromatics were the Latakia and Oriental tobaccos while the vanilla, cherry, etc. blends were just called flavored.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Likely from day one. Tobacco was sometimes placed in liquor barrels for shipping and smokers found the flavor of both smoking it and chewing it agreeable. Some are introduced to pipe smoking with aromatics and some gravitate toward them after some time and experience with smoking a pipe. More aromatics are available than non and have been keeping unflavored blends in production for decades. I find the terminology a bit odd though because when I first started smoking, aromatics were the Latakia and Oriental tobaccos while the vanilla, cherry, etc. blends were just called flavored.
I bet someone thought how wonderful they smell is a bigger selling point then how they taste. I also think they have two advantages from a sales stand point over tobacco forward blends. You don't need to know much to know what they're supposed to taste like, Vanilla (I have had that before), Cherry (had that too), versus a mix of Virginia and Burly (why do I care where they grew it or if it is like Auntie Hildagarde). The other thing is the room note. Which I have found that smoking Vanilla or other aromatics will get more of the random compliments on the smell.