PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I realize that this isn't a topic of great import, like whether The Galactic Imperium has been secretly sending an invasionary force of tiny green men to salt C&D's tins with mold, or whether weimaraners govern better than pomeranians.

Such lofty concerns are beyond the scope of my intellectual comprehension.

But I recently purchased a new mattress, which arrived a few days ago, and my lowly existence on this spinning orb has been enhanced in no small measure.

When I bought my humble establishment in Ashland it came largely furnished, with a fully furnished bedroom. The place was used only for a few weeks out of the year when the previous owner attended the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, so everything is pretty new. That said, the mattress in the primary bedroom wasn't the most comfortable and I'd been waking up with back aches and a lot of bodily stiffness, much of which I attributed to getting on in years.

So I decided to look around for a replacement and headed to a local furniture store, Garrison's, that stocks a wide range of product, including some very high end stuff. After taking a pressure test to determine what level of firmness might be the best, I tried out several mattresses, including Tempur-Pedic and decided on a Stearns & Foster Estate, and also treated myself to a motorized platform that has several presets and the ability to program your own additional presets. I can relax in a zero gravity position, or lounge, TV watching, or something I create. And there are other features.

But the only really important thing is that from the first night I haven't woken up stiff, my knees don't feel tight or locked up, my upper back isn't aching, and I can hop out of bed, rather than crawl out. Also, I sleep much better.

For 3/4 the cost of a used Bang I'm getting a huge improvement for 1/3 of my remaining lifespan. Worth every penny.

If you're on the fence about changing out your old mattress, get off it and do yourself a favor. You'll be happy that you did.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
About 4-5 years ago we finally replaced our almost 20 year old mattress. We were kicking ourselves in the butt for not doing it sooner. There not cheap but worth every penny. We went with a Beautyrest hybrid with a pillow top.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I upgraded to a California King size a few years ago and I don't think I could ever go back to something any smaller. It's amazing - being able to sleep without my feet dangling off the end of the bed.

Lately I've been seriously considering one of these newfangled "side sleeper" pillow jobs. A high tech take on the "wedge" type pillow (which I've enjoyed for a few years too). They have a rigid frame forming the base that has slots for your arm to slide through so you don't wake with numb arms/hands/shoulders.
Yes sir, seriously considering one.

My wife and I sleep in separate rooms now. She's been wanting to change my mattress for a new one for at least ten years now. Won't let here. The bed is fine.
We do that too. I have never liked even sleeping in the same room with someone else. She doesn't either, so we get along fine. Plus, when we want to bow chicka bow wow, we have two rooms to chose from.

I don't see how a guy can get comfortable with someone hanging all over them while they try to sleep.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
We do that too. I have never liked even sleeping in the same room with someone else. She doesn't either, so we get along fine. Plus, when we want to bow chicka bow wow, we have two rooms to chose from.

I don't see how a guy can get comfortable with someone hanging all over them while they try to sleep.
Though my wife and I do sleep in the same bed, it is a king and she knows bed time is not snuggling time. Don’t touch me when I’m trying to sleep! 😂

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
This cheap innerspring mattress in a box I got from Ashley is perfect and a quarter of the price of my bed back home.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa

Try wife and two dogs! Our now 50+ pound lab puppy likes cool vs. warm and has discovered the area at the head of the bed with cool sheets exposed between the ends of two cool pillows. She waits until we are asleep, then moves from the end of the bed, ready for nuzzling me at 5 am to get up. This morning I woke up at 4 - couldn’t get back to sleep and having reached for my phone, awakened the beast - been a long day already.