PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
Having spent long years going it alone as a pipe smoker, simply because I didn't know anyone else nearby who smoked a pipe, it has been only recently, in the last month, that I have had the absolute joy of being able to smoke a pipe with someone else beside me doing exactly the same. This new found companionship has, all of a sudden, blossomed, so that I now find myself having several appointments on separate weekends, all of them joining fellow pipe smokers in our wonderful pastime. What a joy this is! It has added a completely new dimension to smoking and, for once, I find myself being able to talk, yes talk, about pipes and tobaccos and techniques and shops and forums and goodness knows what else. More, I've been invited to smoke-offs and to enjoy a pipe in my local B&M and sample their tobacco and relax in a leather armchair whilst I smoke and compare my colleague's blends and pipes and discuss pipe news and developments in the industry and...you get my meaning, I'm sure. Years of isolation have suddenly been transformed into a fellowship, a coterie, a chamber of pipers and, guess what - they are all fantastic people! What have I been missing all this time? I know exactly what I've been missing - there weren't any opportunities to meet with other smokers until right now.

What moments of sheer joy with your fellow pipe people can you share? Or, if you are like I was, a lone smoker, what are your views?

Thanks for reading.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Women can bond easily and well around conversation, finding common ground as they go. Men bond around activities,

whether it's work, sports, avocation, or whatever. Pipes are a great common ground that allow two otherwise different

guys to sound out what they may have in common. It provides a context for conversation and an excuse when conversation

doesn't come.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love meeting and smoking with fellow pipemen and try to take very opportunity.

As a guest, I've been to the Philly meetings, which are great (do I know you "Sparks"?), same for the NYC and Allentown clubs.

Last week, up in NY, I enjoyed some bowls with member "foggymountain".

Finally someone locally started a pipe club in Winchester VA, so I feel that I've found a home of my own. In fact, I just packed my pipe bag for the club meeting tomorrow night.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Excellent point geo3rge. When I started smoking pipe this year, I only had one friend that had ever smoked pipe before. Because of my interest, he picked it up again and now has pretty much abandoned cigars all together. Then another friend got interested and I share my pipes with him when we get together (I plan to give him a pipe as soon as I have a few of my one stockpiled). And yet another friend and fellow home brewer got more into pipes after I did.
This weekend I will be having a birthday party/clam bake and all of these friends will be in the same place at the same time. There will be lots of pipe smoke, beer and I'll probably bust out some single malts! It is great sharing hobbies with friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.