PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
My windproof Zippo is the only lighter I've run across that actually seems to be at all windproof.
I sort of like my stuff to be rather plain and unadorned, and I picked up this simple case with a standard insert at the WalMart checkout counter a little while back for 3 dollars. It seems to be decent quality, but maybe I'll eventually find out otherwise. I stuck my windproof insert into it and taped my homemade tamper on the side. Everything I need, and perfect.

Attachments

• pipe lighter - tamper .jpg
    pipe lighter - tamper .jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 16

Uguccione

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
An iconic lighter, as they say today.
It was my lighter for years, as a young novice pipe smoker, even though I was warned that Zippo was The Evil for pipes. But he was cool and when he's young we care about these things.
Then there was that fun way of turning it on by rubbing it back and forth on jeans (which I don't remember ever managing though).
I stopped using it for one simple reason: it downloaded even if you didn't use it. Whether you used it or not, after a few days it stopped working because the petrol inside evaporated.
...and the refill can was cumbersome to carry around.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It was my lighter for years, as a young novice pipe smoker, even though I was warned that Zippo was The Evil for pipes. But he was cool and when he's young we care about these things.
Then there was that fun way of turning it on by rubbing it back and forth on jeans (which I don't remember ever managing though).
I stopped using it for one simple reason: it downloaded even if you didn't use it. Whether you used it or not, after a few days it stopped working because the petrol inside evaporated.
That's the only thing I don't like about Zippos. I think they actually last longer if you use them though, but maybe that's in my head. I refill mine every 4 or 5 days with regular daily use for 10 or so years now straight.

Uguccione

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
Those that haven’t done it cannot imagine how hard work hay hauling was
When I was a boy, harvesting was the way to earn some money. We lent a hand to the farmers. For them the harvest was a moment of joy, light work compared to other activities in the fields; but for us kids who weren't used to the effort, carrying those buckets full of grapes, up and down, all day was exhausting.
Every time I said "enough, I won't go back next year".
Then I came back.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I ordered ten rubber bottom flaps for my stash of Zippos. Whether they are all made by the same factory somewhere I have no idea. The gadgets are surprisingly high quality, seem to make a lighter fluid proof seal, and the flap even seals. There’s room for an extra flint, too.

IMG_7854.jpeg
IMG_7850.jpegIMG_7852.jpegIMG_7851.jpegIMG_7853.jpeg

Zippo uses felt because they’ve always used felt for a flap, I suppose.

And 90 years of do gooders and bottom feeding lawyers suing Zippo for making lighters that work and will burn down houses and little children have likely caused Zippo’s lawyers to order them not to mess with the product. They’d have to test if little children would swallow the rubber insert, etc.

Our youngest just turned 30, and I sure hope he doesn’t mistake these for something good to eat.:)

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I ordered ten rubber bottom flaps for my stash of Zippos. Whether they are all made by the same factory somewhere I have no idea. The gadgets are surprisingly high quality, seem to make a lighter fluid proof seal, and the flap even seals. There’s room for an extra flint, too.

View attachment 301631
View attachment 301633View attachment 301634View attachment 301635View attachment 301636

Zippo uses felt because they’ve always used felt for a flap, I suppose.

And 90 years of do gooders and bottom feeding lawyers suing Zippo for making lighters that work and will burn down houses and little children have likely caused Zippo’s lawyers to order them not to mess with the product. They’d have to test if little children would swallow the rubber insert, etc.

Our youngest just turned 30, and I sure hope he doesn’t mistake these for something good to eat.:)
The gaskets for zippos are fantastic, which is why zippo inc. will never offer them. Lighter fluid sales are a huge profit stream for zippo.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The gaskets for zippos are fantastic, which is why zippo inc. will never offer them. Lighter fluid sales are a huge profit stream for zippo.

Zippo might offer a rubber flap, but before it becomes a factory standard, it will have to be tested.

The first test would be how much does a rubber flap stop evaporation. The wick is still up there in the chimney wicking off the fluid. Is it an improvement worth the change over?

Zippo lighters all have an unconditional guarantee. It works or they fix it free.

Zippo cotton and flaps never wear out. The little rubber inserts have a lid with a pin. The insert might wear out. The rubber may degrade.

If all the testing shows the improvement is really an improvement, and it will last a hundred years, then comes cost.

The felt flap is cheap, but it’s not free. It doesn’t install itself. Wherever those rubber flaps are made Zippo could make them in Bradford or contract for a million flaps. The cheapest way to change would be on a certain day every new Zippo had the new rubber flap, every repair gets the rubber flap, and they sell rubber flaps in child proof packaging.

Remember New Coke?

There’s sure to be an outcry and consumer resistance to the change.

And vendors would sell wool flaps.:)

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
The issues you raise are valid. Regarding effectiveness however, zippo enthusiasts have established that these gaskets are a big no-brainer improvement -- the gaskets significantly improve fluid life, and they are inexpensive.
While it is true that zippo must consider the many factors you outline above (durability, etc.), it is also true that zippo may be less than enthusiastic about cutting into their fluid sales.

Zippo owns Ronson as well, so they have a near monopoly on lighter fluid.

Below is one of several similar brands -- a popular item on Amazon:

1712571664953.jpeg

Reactions: Nevaditude

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The rubber flap lasts about a year in my experience.

As compared until Judgement Day for the felt factory flap.

Another factor. Zippo has made Zippos about 90 years. There no doubt are a lot of machines that insert the cotton and then the felt flap, which is primarily there to hold in all the cotton.

It would require new tooling to change over.

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
As compared until Judgement Day for the felt factory flap.

Another factor. Zippo has made Zippos about 90 years. There no doubt are a lot of machines that insert the cotton and then the felt flap, which is primarily there to hold in all the cotton.

It would require new tooling to change over.
Zippo branded flints and wicks eventually wear out and need to be replaced by the user. Why not the same with Zippo branded gaskets?
Regarding Zippo assembly machinery, it is possible the felt bottoms are hand installed at the factory. In any case, Zippo could offer the gaskets as a seperately sold option, like their various inserts. Zippo will never do this however because it will hurt their fluid sales.

Reactions: Nevaditude

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
1712738152265.jpeg

Reactions: Uguccione