PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"OHM Red, fruit, smooth, average score 6"

Kind of stands out to me. I find the OHM Turkish Red quite decent. Especially at the price (just over a dollar an ounce).
Yes, I found that interesting. Comments varied widely on OHM Red, but it certainly did better than Vengeur, which is manufactured by the same company. Keep in mind that not many people rated the OHM, though, and I didn't try it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Valiant effort @woodsroad !!

This kind of test would also be interesting if you smoked shag cut the week before, even once a day. At least for me, shag cut requires quite a specific puff/draw to keep it pleasant, and it always takes me a bowl to remember that. To be honest I usually only use it to blend in with something chunky or cube cut.
Thank you!
You are completely right about shag cut requiring a different cadence. Several panel members noted the same. FWIW, not all the RYO's were shag, some were a narrow ribbon, but indeed, smoking them requires a different approach than wider cuts, flakes, etc.

Cobler

Lurker
Mar 3, 2024
Yes, I found that interesting. Comments varied widely on OHM Red, but it certainly did better than Vengeur, which is manufactured by the same company. Keep in mind that not many people rated the OHM, though, and I didn't try it.
I'd be interested to hear your take on the OHM Red when you get a chance to try a bowl.

Partly because OHM seems to be one of the more readily available brands yet Briar Lee hasn't mentioned it AFAIK.

Reactions: makhorkasmoker
Isn’t Rouseco Gold and Buoy Gold the same blend ?

I am not surprised by the results. To some extent taste perception is linked to psychology: In the presence of RYO the smokers assumed that even the bona-fide pipe tobacco were also RYO and the scores went down. Even then, they scored better than the RYOs as expected.

The bag of Buoy Gold I bought a couple of months back, would score about 3-5 I assume with this group. I found it smokable, but not comparable in quality to the genuine pipe blends.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
That’s because Simon was your bunkmate and guide. For example, you drove right past the most excellent establishment where this event was held. Several exceptional Pennsylvania beers on tap and really great food.
It really is a great place. I always stop when I’m in the area. It’s been a few years though.

Reactions: woodsroad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Isn’t Rouseco Gold and Buoy Gold the same blend ?

I am not surprised by the results. To some extent taste perception is linked to psychology: In the presence of RYO the smokers assumed that even the bona-fide pipe tobacco were also RYO and the scores went down. Even then, they scored better than the RYOs as expected.

The bag of Buoy Gold I bought a couple of months back, would score about 3-5 I assume with this group. I found it smokable, but not comparable in quality to the genuine pipe blends.
BINGO.
You've nailed it.
What would be fascinating to do is a similar taste panel, but with all the same blend, or maybe just two different blends.