PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
"17.5" Someone owns one of those old Coulter light buckets.... My Coulter 10" will be out tomorrow if seeing is good - it will, of course, be cloudy tonight, because Astronomy (and living in the Midwest)...

Reactions: musicman

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
"17.5" Someone owns one of those old Coulter light buckets.... My Coulter 10" will be out tomorrow if seeing is good - it will, of course, be cloudy tonight, because Astronomy (and living in the Midwest)...
Actually, it's not! I bought it used and was thinking the same thing when the guy on Astromart first wrote me about it, but it was actually home built by a master craftsman. The builder even ground his own mirror and then sent it to Galaxy Optics for finishing, testing, and coating. The mirror is on a par with Zambuto, as far as the testing is concerned.

I do, however, remember my first view through one of those 17.5 inch Coulters, back in the 80s as a kid. I was bowled over by both the size of the thing, and what you could see with it! After that, a big dob was on my bucket list, but it wasn't until this past summer that it became a reality.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Actually, it's not! I bought it used and was thinking the same thing when the guy on Astromart first wrote me about it, but it was actually home built by a master craftsman. The builder even ground his own mirror and then sent it to Galaxy Optics for finishing, testing, and coating. The mirror is on a par with Zambuto, as far as the testing is concerned.

I do, however, remember my first view through one of those 17.5 inch Coulters, back in the 80s as a kid. I was bowled over by both the size of the thing, and what you could see with it! After that, a big dob was on my bucket list, but it wasn't until this past summer that it became a reality.
These days certain Nikon cameras that can be obtained used for like $80 can be used to effectively stargaze

Reactions: musicman

B_Rock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 11, 2020
San Jose, CA
I also have been watching the progression the past few weeks. It’s been cool and clear in San Jose - perfect viewing from the deck while smoking my late afternoon pipe.

The bigger question is what is the greatest conjunction? And, but, for, so, nor...or yet?

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Well, it's never cloudy in AZ, is it? So you should have a great view. Good luck!
Here in Tucson it's sunny for at least a portion of the day 350 days of the year. It's a great place to live if your hobby is amateur astronomy!

I paid my dues though. I grew up in one of the cloudiest cities in the country (Portland, OR), and then lived for 15 years in Minnesota, where the best time of the year for observing (winter) also features -20 degree weather!

I probably won't be able to stay in Arizona forever, but if I could, I probably would, and at least 80 percent of the reason is the weather.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL

Even better, some of those Coulters are wretched if you want to apply any magnification. Mine is completely custom in all aspects except the tube itself. So while it's pretty tweaked, it's no Zambuto. Happy viewing!!!

swampgrizzly

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2018
South Louisiana, U.S.A.
If you have any interest at all in astronomy, physics, or just a curious mind, I'd encourage you to look to the SW portion of the sky tonight 30-60 minutes after sunset to see the great conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter. A conjunction, in astronomy, is when two celestial bodies appear from earth to be very close together (although, of course, they are still very far apart). A "great conjunction" refers to a conjunction of the two biggest planets in our solar system. This will be the closest the two planets will appear in the night sky in about 800 years, so it's truly a once in a lifetime astronomical event.

To the unaided eye, they will appear as if they are a close double star in the sky, and through a telescope, they will appear in the same field of view. I'll be out in the desert with the wife and two scopes, an 80mm refractor, and a 17.5 inch reflector. I had the refractor out on the deck tonight, and it was really cool to see both the cloud bands of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn in the same telescope view. Check it out, and if you have any sort of scope or binoculars, use those as well!

People are calling this a "Christmas star," which is kind of a misnomer, as they are planets, not stars, but some astronomers, such as Johannes Kepler, posited that the star of Bethlehem that is referred in the story of the Magi visit to the newborn Jesus might have been a great conjunction that occurred around that time!
We lucked up with a clear night here after a couple of weeks of overcast nights. I was able to see the conjunction with unaided eyes and what I think was one of Jupiter's moons when viewing with my binoculars. A deer hunting friend said he could see Saturn's rings through his rifle's scope. Mars was also viewable tonight with unaided eyes higher up in the sky and on the opposite side of Earth's moon. Though this was interesting to see, as was the Comet Neowise earlier this year, and the Perseid meteor showers this summer, I enjoy seeing the satellite trains more, especially when they are in their low initial orbits.

• Love
Reactions: musicman and Bengel
Status
Not open for further replies.