PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BriarLinedMeer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 15, 2020
New Zealand
Hi All, just wanted to share something, I have a copy of Alfred Dunhill's, "The Gentle Art Of Smoking", and I realised it was signed!

Pretty cool TradeMe (NZ's Ebay) find.

Could be completely fake, but I'll treat it as genuine lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20220131_094500.jpg
    IMG_20220131_094500.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20220131_094507.jpg
    IMG_20220131_094507.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 26

BriarLinedMeer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 15, 2020
New Zealand
You got me thinking, I just looked at my copy..........no signature :(
Bugger, I was surprised to see it on mine!

Have it authenticated. Shouldn't cost too much and might add value to the book which may require you insuring it and storing it safely and securely. So, maybe more trouble than you are willing to put out.

That sounds like a good idea, I'll go check it out.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
A couple things seem suspect about the signature; there seems to be some hesitancy in the "D" like it was done it stages; it's a little hard to tell, but, it looks like it might be signed in felt tip pen (Alfred Dunhill died in 1959, so it's more likely he would've signed it in fountain pen or even ballpoint). You should get it checked out/authenticated if it's important to you, or if you spent a lot.

BriarLinedMeer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 15, 2020
New Zealand
A couple things seem suspect about the signature; there seems to be some hesitancy in the "D" like it was done it stages; it's a little hard to tell, but, it looks like it might be signed in felt tip pen (Alfred Dunhill died in 1959, so it's more likely he would've signed it in fountain pen or even ballpoint). You should get it checked out/authenticated if it's important to you, or if you spent a lot.
It cost me 5 nzd with shipping on top.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
This is Alfred son Alfred Henry.
it’s a Great Piece I’d love to own!!!

Reactions: romaso and Ahi Ka

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Here's an inscribed copy for $125. You could contact the seller for a photo of the inscription and compare:
Alfred Dunhill, Signed - AbeBooks

"Originally published in 1954, this is the New (Second) Edition of 1954... This copy INSCRIBED "For [------] with sincere regards Alfred H. Dunhill" on the free front endpaper. Alfred H. was the son of the founder Alfred Dunhill"

The son may have stopped using the 'H' after his dad died.

Last edited:

BriarLinedMeer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 15, 2020
New Zealand
Here's an inscribed copy for $125. You could contact the seller for a photo of the inscription and compare:
Alfred Dunhill, Signed - AbeBooks

"Originally published in 1954, this is the New (Second) Edition of 1954... This copy INSCRIBED "For [------] with sincere regards Alfred H. Dunhill" on the free front endpaper. Alfred H. was the son of the founder Alfred Dunhill"
Thanks heaps mate

Reactions: romaso