PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We seem to have a number of GBD enthusiasts here. I'll start this thread dedicated to information about that brand.
I was surprised at the price of this Unique that was recently sold on Ebay (nearly $800!). It is very large, which I'm sure added to the value and barely looks smoked. "Unique" pipes were attributed and some say carved by Horey Jameson. They often have carved detail features and area always freehand pipes. I do not yet own a Unique grade pipe. Last month, at our Frederick Pipe club, Jason Bard, who owns "Bards Vintage Briar" had a bag full of Unique pipes he was going to restore and sell. Based on this pipe, he should do well!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exquisitely-Crafted-Vintage-GBD-of-London-England-Unique-Natural-Smoking-Pipe-/141613479709?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f8d2371d&nma=true&si=PFxJlfv%252FZVyIkuJj3xxl4IRtpnI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
$_57.JPG

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
It is a real show stopper of a pipe, ssjones.

Maybe I am being sacrilegious about it, but it amazes me when someone lists an expensive pipe and does not give dimensions or weight. I would think this would be good marketing for any pipe.

I guess the guy who spent the $800 did not care either.

I suppose it is like a restaurant that doesn't list the prices on the menu.

Out of my league. :)

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Wow, I did a double take on that briar as my mind said it had to be another brand, but seeing the rondelle scrambled what's left of my mind on this Monday. What a beauty. I would have only been able to go to $749!
I only have an old Xtra that no one seems to be able to date despite the silver hallmarks and a Superflame, 100 year I think, Anniversary bent bulldog. Sadly, the bulldog does not have a tapered stem.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The seller knew nothing about pipes. In the original ad, he had no pictures of the rondell and nomenclature. I'm sure those upped the value, I hope he appreciated my feedback - I had no idea it was going to go that high!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
A very sweet looking pipe. I'm guessing of course but I'm betting it's a lot lighter than it looks.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
GBD shape number chart
http://www.perardua.net/pipes/GBDshape.html
GBD models
http://www.perardua.net/pipes/GBDlines.html

Mar 30, 2014
wv
G.L. Pease GBD pipe collection Excellent examples of early, rare, and unique GBD's from different periods.
http://glpease.com/Pipes/Collection/gbd.html

Mar 30, 2014
wv
GBD seconds or sub brands
Americana

Arizona

Autumn Gold

Beau Nash

Blue Jean

Brunette

Chevereuse

Clubhouse

Cordoban

Cornwall

Country Club

Cyclone

Daddy

Davos

Dr. Plumb

English Knight

Estacis

Fouquet

Garlan

House of Commons

Insignia

Irwin's

Jamieson

Kingswood

Marcee

Masta

Matt Deluxe

Matt Special

Medley

Oxford

Peerless

Penthouse

Pinner

Prince of Whales

Racines

Rest lite

Rockwood

Scorpio Deluxe

Silverado

Snap-Fit

Sovereign

Special A

Special B

Superflame

Theydon

Topper

Triomphe

Wimbledon

Reactions: Ted Vig
Mar 30, 2014
wv
Way to go ss. I don't think the site with the shape numbers has been active for quite a while. An updated number chart would be nice.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love a shot of multiple 9438's!
@stanlaurel - what is the shape number on your new Virgin? That is a shape I've not yet seen and I want to be sure it is in my shape number database.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
As far as I know, it is 1960. I have one picture from the back and I think that is correct. That's what the listing said too. I won't have the actual pipe in hand until tomorrow.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I'm still hoping to find out the approximate age of the Virgin 1960 that I posted above.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
SS, speaking of shape # data base... Is that top secret? Please post if possible. I just bought a GBD Prestige Conquest Canadian. I found the Prestige listed on the old peradua site, but nothing about Conquest. Anyone have any info on this name? I'll post some pics in the GBD show off thread when I get it cleaned up.
@Dutch, that is an outstanding collection of 9438's. Good lord!