PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
What was the blend that got you into pipe smoking? What was that first blend that you had your “aha” moment with?

For me it was Dan “Midnight Ride”. I’d tried several blends before, mostly bulk (probably renamed Lane blends) from my brick and mortar and a few other tins. Nothing quite hit me. I picked up a tin of Midnight Ride, mostly likely because of the tin art and name. I can still remember walking my dog and smoking my first bowl of it, it just hit me like “wow, I get why people smoke pipes now”. I have a few tins of it but haven’t revisited since that initial tin years ago. I’m almost afraid it won’t live up to my memory, And don’t want to diminish it. That was my the first blend I really enjoyed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The first go around, it was some re-named aromatic from Tinder Box, perhaps several. After not smoking for some years, it was probably Dunhill Nightcap that got my attention. It may not have been the first blend, but it was the one that seemed most interesting.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Half and Half. No one would ride shotgun with an old Nam Vet named Skip. He smoked a pipe constantly...

I never minded his company. I asked him what he smoked. He said Half n Half. I thought it pleasant.

Many years later, Half n Half was the first tobacco I tried. I enjoyed it. Right away it tasted nutty and smelled delicious to me.... But back then I didn’t know that VA was “bright” or that “burley” was the other half.

Then, of course, away from the OTC’s in a 26 year search of something better.

Full circle, I’ve become a Granger smokin Codger.

There’s a lesson in here somewhere.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I started out with a few pouches of Sir Walter Raleigh Aero and quite enjoyed it. I picked up a pouch of no name cherry flavored crap that nuked my mouth enough to make me consider quitting. Sir Walter sustained me until I discovered Dunhill Dark Flake. Then came McClelland Virginia’s and the rest is history.

Status
Not open for further replies.