PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I've had what I'd consider a fairly even palate in my taste for various tobaccos until now. Naturally - there have always been tobaccos I enjoy, and those that I don't.
Within the past several weeks - ever since the post describing a soapy taste to Latakia - I've gradually enjoyed Latakia blends less and less and now essentially have no interest in smoking them, at least for now. I find this interesting for a couple of reasons; I'd never considered the soap factor until reading that thread and Latakia more and more has taken on a Palmolive flavor; my change in taste ironically coincided with the arrival of my first ever tin of Penzance, which remains unopened.
Nothing earthshattering about this to me, I know many pipe smokers have evolving tastes, but I've pretty much always enjoyed most of the blends I've tried. Fortunately for me, my current stocks of blends containing Latakia are a few tins of Vintage Syrian and the previously mentioned tin of Penzance. Have any of you had similar shifts in palate where a tobacco went completely off for you?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Ah, the power of suggestion.

I had troubles a couple of times during my inaugural period where for some reason, my taste buds or pH balance went whacko.

I don't find any soapy taste to latakia. I guess I should 'look' for it.

Does Ennerdale have Latakia? That might be it. I think its aroma is industrial strength, as is that of Mix79.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I had a similar event here. Over time, Latakia lost its appeal. The pine smoke taste is distinctive and strong, but I don't need that; I need depth, and Latakia tends to bomb that out of a blend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I may say so, nothing diminishes the appetite for a blend like ordering five pounds of it. Or ten tins. Assume your tastes will evolve, always.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
No doubt there is some psychological aspect at play here, perhaps combined with some sharper blends I've been smoking lately.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I debated starting a thread on this topic, but I will join in here.
My very first tin of SG Cabbies Mixture was incredible, at least to me. It had a wonderful balance of Perique and Virginia, slightly sweet with the Perique spice that I love so much. Ordered 2 more tins right away. Upon arrival, I popped open that new tin, packed my favorite VaPer pipe, and was greeted with a mouthful of granny soap essence. As I have heard that SG tobaccos can pick up the tonquin bean essence just by being in the same room as Lakeland tobaccos before tinning, I chalked it up to that, and decided that I could live with it, as the soapy essence dissipated about halfway. Bob's Chocolate Flake is the only Latakia blend I have ever had that tastes of soap as well, but it would not be the same without it.
That being said, I recently opened a tin of GLP Cairo that I purchased in 2012. I have the habit of aging tobaccos in the tin, as is a common practice. Now, I remember Cairo having an orange citrus sort of taste, and my notes on it said the same. This tobacco, however, had the distinct aroma and taste of GRAPE. It was confirmed by a second party, just to prove that I am not insane. So, is this a result of aging? Or did I get a tin of Captain Bob's blend with the wrong label? I will never know.
As far as your Latakia being soapy: might be you, might be the vendor, might be the age and whether it was bulk or tin, stored with lake lands, or just the luck of the draw. I have a Falcon that had been stored in a box of pot-pourri for 20 years, I had to replace the bowl, because nothing worked to remove the flowery scent. Maybe you changed something in your diet, which altered your body chemistry.
Just a suggestion: jar your remaining Latakia, and pull it out again in six months. Everything might be better then, and you can then risk being drawn into the Penzance addiction.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I have heard that SG tobaccos can pick up the tonquin bean essence just by being in the same room as Lakeland tobaccos before tinning
Some say even the same time zone.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

My palate changes from time to time. I can't get enough of St. James Flake and Three Nuns lately. I've always liked both, but not as much as I have lately. I now start everyday off with one or the other. I tried aromatics again recently and still could not get into them. The one thing that really affects my palate is my sinuses. When they're clear my taste buds are spot on, but when they aren't... I start to think I don't like something that I always have.

pipemarshal82

Lurker
Apr 19, 2016
I had a similar event here. Over time, Latakia lost its appeal. The pine smoke taste is distinctive and strong, but I don't need that; I need depth, and Latakia tends to bomb that out of a blend
That's where I'm at with it. I used to really like it, I will smoke it still but rarely. A lot of it to me depends on weather. I live in Florida and a Latakia blend is too "hot" for me. I primarily smoke va/per blends. Latakia, for me too will completely dominate a blend, even with the slightest amounts.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
During my 52 or so years of piping, I have noticed my tastes change from time to time, sometimes for short periods, sometimes for years. I smoked SWR for about 20 years, with occasional side trips to other temptations, but mostly burley veriations. Then I discovered English/Balkan blends, and SWR faded into an occasional trip down memory lane.
During the next 30 or so years, I enjoyed the many varied combinations of Latakia, Virginias, Burley, Perique, Orientals, some with toppings, some with deer tongue. I would go for months with a couple of favorites, then try something different, and, like a jaded gigolo, was off to new pleasures, until something else pleased me more. Spent a few years with Penzance, until it became too popular and scarce. Was devoted to MM965 until Dunhill stopped selling into the States, at which time I developed a new relationship with Westminster. That lasted until I became enamored with Barbary Coast (burley continues to have a hold on me). Then I ..... well, you get the idea.
I am admittedly an unfaithful smoker. I like a lot of different blends, but burley blends, and English/Balkans remain a constant presence, ever the temptresses calling me back to their exotic embraces. I have even added Carter Hall into the casual working relationship.
And then there are the cigars.....
Bless me Father, for I have sinned, with many a brown leaf, and always with my pleasure at the focus...
As Lou Costello said, "I'm a baaaaaadddd boy!" :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.