PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I chased this through about a dozen boxes but never brought my quarry to ground. It would take me a few hours to go back in memory to even half way recall what they were, 10 years later, so I won't, but the common characteristic was inferior tobacco. There was always something wrong. But as I loved the concept that smoking 2 cigars a day, if one of them was less expensive, I could smoke the pricy stick with less remorse, I continued the chase.

Oliva came the closest, but if I recall correctly they were $6 or $7. And if you like them, more power to you, but Garcia y Vega and their ilk were dog food.

My grandfather overcame such objections by eating as much as smoking his enduring favorite, Dutch Masters. My grandmother wouldn't let him smoke in the house. No matter. The 5 inches remaining on his cigar would turn into two inches an hour later. He didn't spit so he must have swallowed.

Good taste comes at a price.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
For me, in the 1990's, it was a Henry Clay. Not a pretty cigar, but smoked great. Now made by Altadis,still around $5 it seems. I've been in a number of shops, including multiple JR Cigars,but never see these on the shelf (I always look). But, available online it seems. No clue if the quality is the same, guessing since the price stayed the same, the answer is "no".

Reactions: craig61a
As I mentioned in my cigar thread, I did find a great GTO factory flaw cigar that I would put up against all of the aged Cubans I've tried. It was about $3.50 a stick. I picked up a couple of bricks of them. The only problem I see with them is that the flags aren't always perfect, and about 1 in 12 don't have a good draw to them, so I have to use a pick to open them up a tad. I would wager damn good money that the leaf is exactly the same, but the sticks just didn't pass a cosmetic QC.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
As I mentioned in my cigar thread, I did find a great GTO factory flaw cigar that I would put up against all of the aged Cubans I've tried. It was about $3.50 a stick. I picked up a couple of bricks of them. The only problem I see with them is that the flags aren't always perfect, and about 1 in 12 don't have a good draw to them, so I have to use a pick to open them up a tad. I would wager damn good money that the leaf is exactly the same, but the sticks just didn't pass a cosmetic QC.
Wish I could find some of those!

Reactions: kcghost

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are expecting an enchanting hour, you won't find it with King Edward cigars, but they are mild, burn pretty well, and are often better than no smoke at all. And of course, machine-made makes them cheap, uh moderately priced. You won't find them in every grocery and drugstore anymore, but they're around.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I'm all about the Illusione Rothchilde. It's $5 plus a bit of change at most places but can be very close to the $5 mark, especially if you buy a 5 pack or more. Fantastic cigar in my opinion. I like both the connecticut and the maduro versions.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I have also tried and failed to come up with a good cheap cigar as well. You can certainly get something decent for around $7, but keeping it under $5 is a real challenge. I usually just find stuff under $5 that I'd rather not smoke because I'd rather spend a few more bucks and get something I really enjoy.

I have managed to get some pretty good deals on an online cigar auctions. Got some Drew Estate Undercrown sun growns for less than $5.00 a piece, and some other good deals along those lines, but they are not really predictable.

I'm all about the Illusione Rothchilde. It's $5 plus a bit of change at most places but can be very close to the $5 mark, especially if you buy a 5 pack or more. Fantastic cigar in my opinion. I like both the connecticut and the maduro versions.

I agree those are pretty good sticks. I usually see them around $6-$7 which seems to me to be the usual reliable starting price for a good cigar.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I agree that good taste comes at a price. While not the greatest, you can easily pick up a Punch for under $5. They’re an acquired taste… Ha, but you could certainly do worse.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

Interesting - have not heard of GTO, but in researching, the Pain Killer sounds right in my wheelhouse. Now, to find a B&M during my next city excursion try one out. Where are these factory flaw bundles coming from? Available online? Interested in a trade?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Back some 25 years ago when my wife and I were in the Caribbean, decided to try my first Cubans. Tried 4-5 brands at various price points, the most expensive was $18 per stick. Actually liked the $5 one I tried best.:)

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
wolflarsen said:
I'm all about the Illusione Rothchilde. It's $5 plus a bit of change at most places but can be close to the $5 mark, especially if you buy a 5 pack or more. Fantastic cigar in my opinion. I like both the connecticut and the maduro versions.

I agree those are pretty good sticks. I usually see them around $6-$7 which seems to me to be the usual reliable starting price for a good cigar.

$4.19 each in 5 packs at Foxcigar
$4.80 each in 5 packs at bestcigarprices
$5.35 for singles at neptunecigar
$5.40 each in 5 packs at smokingpipes
$5.40 each in 5 packs at famous-smoke
$5.60 each in 5 packs at cigarsinternational
$5.62 each in 5 packs at atlanticcigar

The list goes on ... 5 packs are definitely the way to go if you want to stretch your pennies. I've never paid $6 or more for one.

Reactions: mso489 and lawdawg

spicy_boiii

Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
My favorites at the closest price are Cuban Montecristo #5s for $6 a piece OTD.

The cheaper Arturo Fuentes are good for the price but not $5.

Some of the CAO series can be found very cheap, the Brazilia surprised me how good it was for the price. Definitely can be had below $5.

Comes down to preference of course, but that's the closest I can get to your price point.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Quintero was my favourite cigar brand too. I’d have the occasional guantanamera or R&J, but always came back to Quintero. Interestingly, I made some rough single leaf stogies from some hanging burley a season or so back, and it floored me with how good it was. Maybe get some whole leaf and roll a stogie for that second stick of the day, or one of the cigar leaf packs that come with filler/binder/wrapper.