PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I went to my biannual dental cleaning today and my dentist said: "you must be drinking a lot of coffee because your teeth are stained". I couldn't tell her it was from pipe smoking because she is my aunt and she would kill me and my mom would probably fly here from the Philippines to confiscate all my pipes and tobacco. So she lectured me about brushing my teeth and rinsing my mouth right after I consume anything that would stain my teeth. I thought that it would be a good thing to share in this forum. Rinse after smoking. After her lecture, I proceeded to drink some coffee and smoke my early morning pipe. At least I rinsed and brushed my teeth afterwards.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Rinse with Biotene, then brush your teeth. Gums, tongue and roof of mouth, too.
0004858200339_180X180.jpg

cavity-defense-toothbrush.jpg

1228491.large.jpg

My dentist was thrilled that I had switched from cigarettes to the pipe. He even brought out his dad's Dunhill to show me that he kept it on his desk. But, yeh, stains are inevitable. I rinse well with Biotene to get the acidity of my mouth down. This is what causes the color to stick. And, I brush well two to three times a day with a whitening toothpaste (and sometimes a mix of baking soda and salt). I also use a Sensodyne toothpaste to offset the irritation of brushing vigorously around my gum line with one of those rotary brushes. I still get stain lines behind my bottom teeth, between them, where the brush has a hard time reaching. I'm not sure what to do about that.
It is too bad that you can't be open with your aunt, because you want them to be extra thorough with inspecting for "unusualness." They are the front lines for catching anything that could be mouth cancer, which is our (pipesmokers) biggest risk. If caught early, it is totally treatable, but I've known men to drop quickly because they didn't catch it early enough. My dentist goes over my mouth very carefully, knowing that I am a pipe guy.
You should be open with her, and then use HIPAA to swear her to secrecy. She actually can't tell your mother at all, ...unless you sign the form saying that she can.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
There is now a purple light that they use to screen for oral cancer. They screened me yesterday and all is well.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
Thanks for the advice. I am gong to start carrying a little bottle of mouthwash with me to work to use to rinse after I smoke my pipe. Good to hear you are cancer free also.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
You're welcome. This is my Public Health Service for the month. Get screened!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I keep a toothbrush and some mouthwash (also a washcloth and some soap) for post-lunting cleanup at work. My dental hygienist was less concerned about stains than about the effects of clenching on my dental work, and recommended Softy bits... :D

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Hydrogen Peroxide works wonders for removing stains from teeth.Once your teeth are stained though it is too late. My dentist think my stains are due from drinking Green Tea. He said a lot of people have been coming in with stained teeth due to the upsurge in green tea drinking. BTW.. I do drink a lot of green tea!

sidious

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2014
Thanks for the reminder minfarshaw. I will be mentioning my new hobby to the dentist on my next visit.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Good for you with the Dentist. I have 3 bone inplants in my jaw and the Periodontist told me that smoking pipes, cigars and/or cigarettes generates heat which can hide peridontal disease(bleeding gums). I see him twice a year for scaling to prevent that and the general Dentist twice a year for basic check-ups. Since my general Dentist smokes cigars as I do, he always does a cancer screening. My Periodontist also do a cancer screening, so I get checked 4 times a year for oral cancer and if I get it, it will be caught early.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Good for you with the Dentist. I have 3 bone inplants in my jaw and the Periodontist told me that smoking pipes, cigars and/or cigarettes generates heat which can hide peridontal disease(bleeding gums). I see him twice a year for scaling to prevent that and the general Dentist twice a year for basic check-ups. Since my general Dentist smokes cigars as I do, he always does a cancer screening. My Periodontist also do a cancer screening, so I get checked 4 times a year for oral cancer and if I get it, it will be caught early.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Funny thing dentists. I had a root canal about four years ago with a very expensive and world renowned dentist in London. Within six months I had a bulge in the side on my mouth caused by an infection. I trotted off down to NJ to see a friend of mine who is very nice oral surgeon and asked him what he thought. He was of the opinion to get rid of the tooth which I duly did and the pain vanished. I just had another one yanked out on Monday as my top plate is just collapsing due to the radio active iodine that I was treated with recently for my thyroid. I only have eight more to go up there and everything will be replaced by a nice plate which I can wake up to every morning with it smiling at me from a glass of water. My own dentist checks me for oral cancer as well and I think this a very wise option that we should do at least once a year.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
My dentist was cool with moderate pipe smoking and recommended an electric toothbrush to help with staining.
I do have to say I thinks it's foolish not to be honest with your healthcare providers. They can't help you if you withhold information. Now, I'm a nurse who manages 2 clinics with 16 doctors, so am I biased? Probably a bit!

mainman341

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
Ive decided that Ill live with stains...and get 2 cleanings a year.

My main concern is flossing and keeping the tissues healthy. I always have a glass of water

afterward and a good brush at night. Gingivitis is the real risk IMO

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
55 years of pipe smoking, and my dentist says that while he doesn't approve, he can find no signs whatsoever that I use tobacco. Scrupulous oral hygiene is the answer. Brush and floss regularly, fastidiously,, and thoroughly. It isn't merely for appearances sake; your health depends on it.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
+1 Eric I live in a community that was the test pilot for fluoridation of drinking water in the early fifties am 42 and lived in Delhi and Ithaca NY for four years and Columbus Oh for one. I had two cavities one in Ithaca and one in Columbus! I brush three times per day and floss twice. I find Sensodyne whitening to be the best toothpaste and always use Biotene.

Status
Not open for further replies.