PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I respect the blenders. At the same time, I imagine that they imagine that all of us out here are having fun doing things our own way. Maybe drying the stuff out a bit, if we like dry tobacco (but then, just get Semois). Or mixing it up, like people have always done by stuffing Five Brothers into the bowl along with our beloved but wimpy OTCs or fancy fru-fru boutique tobaccos. I imagine most blenders just aim to make the best that they can, and send it off, and if we find new ways to enjoy it, they might pay attention, but otherwise, after it leaves the factory, it's on its own...

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
90% of my smokes are Virginas or VaPers and most of my pipes are "flake" pipes...... Small of bowl, narrower, etc. and I will smoke any Vig or Vap blend in them as my mood dictates. I also have mega bowl pipes, true big beasts, that make an aromatic blend sing the sone of it's people. I have two pipes dedicated to one flake and one flake only...... The Mighty Ennerdale!!! It will ghost a pipe just by setting the pipe beside a jar that once held the giant of aroma.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cos, thanks buddy. I believe that the blenders wish people dedicated an individual pipe to every blend they make. If I were a blender I would want that. Imagine Greg Pease listening to people talk about how one of his blends is just off somehow and then he finds out they are smoking a nice virginia in a pipe that was used for Lakelands. If I were him I would want to call the dummy and ask him if he is nuts.
A blender goes through an incredible amount of hard work to come up with the blends that they do. Mixing them with totally different categories of tobacco must be very frustrating when they read reviews that are not very good. I would bet they would want to ask them what tobacco were they smoking in their pipes before they tried one of their blends. It is really not fair to a blender if the reviewer was smoking a virginian in a pipe used for English. Latakia ghosts the hell out of a pipe and cross smoking like that is not fair to a blender. They deserve better than that.

fatbob

Lurker
Jun 30, 2016
I'd have to say most of my pipes pretty much dedicated themselves. Some blends and pipes just work better together. Lakelands and lat bombs are the wild cards but I would have to agree with mortonbriar, sometimes that ghost in the background seems to be a positive.

Just to reiterate... I think it's great that some feel like the tobacconist's ultimate truth shines best in dedicated pipes. That's awesome. But, until someone else pays for all of my tobacco and pipes, and helps me take care of them, I will continue to enjoy a little latakia hovering about in a Virginia occasionally, or a slight vanilla making it's presence known in a yummy latakia sometimes. I enjoy variety. That's my main reason for cellaring, to see how different a blend may become with age. Hell, Escudo changes flavor in just a year in the cellar, and then again every other year. Escudo would be one of those blends that has no one single flavor for me. Many others are that way also. But, like I have said before... it's great that we have such variety in the pipe world, people and tastes.

mithrandir

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2015
Its never been a problem for me. I have 8 pipes and a diverse collection of tobacco blends and I just smoke what ever I'm in the mood for, in the pipe that suits what ever I happen to be doing at the time.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I used to dedicate my pipes to certain styles, but I found myself neglecting pipes that I really like based on not being in the mood for a Va/VaPer that week/month. I've since switched to smoking whatever blend in whatever pipe I feel like at that moment.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
What are your opinions on smoking one kind of tobacco, cleaning the pipe and letting it rest, and then smoking a different kind of tobacco?
Depends on the two blends. Do you drink orange juice after brushing your teeth? And on the other hand, do you eat steak after mashed potatoes?

ticktocker

Lurker
Dec 14, 2017
Maybe I'm not as sensitive as some but I like ghosting. I used to have my pipes dedicated to certain blends or even certain tobaccos but I found that smoking different types of blends and tobaccos in the same pipe makes for a more interesting smoke every time. That's also why I like mixing tobaccos.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
If you don't try around different blends how is it possible to find the best match?
I don't care about ghost flavors. As an experienced smoker I can figure out what's lingering there. And the ghosts would disappear sooner or later with regular cleaning. BTW, I don't smoke aros ......

Status
Not open for further replies.