PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Expectations are a double edged sword. They can work for you, or against you, and it's true with a restaurant, a movie, a cigar, and even pipe tobacco. Pipe people, has this ever happened to you? Check out G. L. Pease's August installment. I was shaking my head yes the whole time reading it.

The Curse of Expectations

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
For me, all of this is more philosophical ?. I never read reviews. It’s like reading an art critic. If you like the art, paintings or music, etc. , what’s it matter what someone else likes.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I don't know how many times I've said "It doesn't taste the same". Makes me wonder. Of course, I have the palate of a troglodyte Greg has a precision instrument.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I mostly smoke one blend in a grouping of pipes. The variables are bowl cleanliness, my mood, time of day and how pleasant the weather.

I always expect to enjoy myself, but…

There are times I’m disappointingly underwhelmed and there are times I’m pleasantly surprised by the delicious flavor from start to finish.

The greatest factor, in my opinion— is the freshness of the pipe. Last night I grabbed an MM Cob that I’d rinsed clean of carbon and had a Nirvana of a bowl. I wasn’t expecting anything. Sometimes the variables all line up.

If you initially have a good experience with a blend, stay with it for a while. Allow it to develop.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I mostly smoke one blend in a grouping of pipes. The variables are bowl cleanliness, my mood, time of day and how pleasant the weather.

I always expect to enjoy myself, but…

There are times I’m disappointingly underwhelmed and there are times I’m pleasantly surprised by the delicious flavor from start to finish.

The greatest factor, in my opinion— is the freshness of the pipe. Last night I grabbed an MM Cob that I’d rinsed clean of carbon and had a Nirvana of a bowl. I wasn’t expecting anything. Sometimes the variables all line up.

If you initially have a good experience with a blend, stay with it for a while. Allow it to develop.
I've had the same experience.

Reactions: Grangerous

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Expectations are a double edged sword. They can work for you, or against you, and it's true with a restaurant, a movie, a cigar, and even pipe tobacco. Pipe people, has this ever happened to you? Check out G. L. Pease's August installment. I was shaking my head yes the whole time reading it.

The Curse of Expectations

For tobacco, music, or movies the worst thing someone can do is tell me how much I'll love it. It stops me from just experiencing the thing. I measure it not neutrally but by the yard stick given. Then if it's not the most amazing blend or song or show I feel like it's not lived up to the expectation.
Now if you just say try it! Then I am way more likely to see how great the thing is.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Makes me glad I had smoking a pipe figured out before the arrival of the internet, that I don't read tobacco reviews, that I don't frequent B&Ms, and don't pay any attention to marketing.
I have a similar feeling around figuring out pipe smoking without the internet...it was not that I started so long ago, I just did not think to apply 'the internet' to my new found hobby right away, and so had a couple of years of figuring it out for myself. I would have found the abundance of help and opinions on even just this one forum far too overwhelming if I had not already set some kind of course for myself.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a similar feeling around figuring out pipe smoking without the internet...it was not that I started so long ago, I just did not think to apply 'the internet' to my new found hobby right away, and so had a couple of years of figuring it out for myself. I would have found the abundance of help and opinions on even just this one forum far too overwhelming if I had not already set some kind of course for myself.
I had been smoking for 23 years when I found out you could buy tobacco online and that there were forums for it. I never imagined anyone needed help smoking.?‍♂️

Reactions: mortonbriar