PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So after sending them an email about the defect, they replied saying they would send a replacement stem. I replied telling them not to bother, as I had already fitted it with a freehand stem and that the longer stem would no longer fit. So what arrives in the mail today? The stem I told them not to send. Strike 2 MM.
They get a strike because you did not contact them when you got the pipe and found it defective and then modified it to accept another stem and when they send you another stem you get bent outa shape?
I suppose that if you bought a new Sav. or Dunhill you would modify it instead of contacting the vendor and getting a replacement?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Good call! In the meantime, I decided one Cobbit wasn't enough, so I changed my order to 2 Shires. I mean, you have to rotate them, right?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Also, let me note because of some criticism of MM (this does not challenge the complaints some have had: I'm not a hard core cobbler, but the Cobbits, especially the Shire, were irresistible) something that speaks to MM's ethic: When I ordered a MM freehand, they accidentally sent me, along with the large freehand, a lovely display plaque. But I don't hang pipes on the wall, and so had no use for it anyway. So I called them to tell them what I accidentally received, because first, it wasn't mine, and second, because I didn't want some poor lad or lass losing their job for inadvertently sending me the plaque, as I did as a youth when I processed books at a bookstore and forgot to keep credit card forms I made out for such book sales. (Not a single person who received these free books by my error ever returned them, btw.) I consequently lost my job, understandably. But I didn't want someone at MM to lose their job for the same reason, so I immediately called MM, told them of the error, and asked what to do, and please not to chastise the person who processed my order. They said not to worry, and keep the plaque, and the person who processed the order was safe and OK, these things happen. I thought that was pretty cool. Aftermath: since I didn't need or want the plaque, I sent it to the first person who wanted it to PM me from the sale forum.

The other issue: I think MM will make these Cobbits for years. Tolkien is one of the few authors who will survive this new century and beyond, so the Cobbits will always remain popular for pipe smokers, even people like me who previously only smoked cobs to help my rotation.

I am quickly growing hair on my feet waiting for my Shires.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
(Hopping up and down) Only a matter of hours now before my Shires magically appear on my doorstep...

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
I dearly love my Wizard for the bowl size and I love the churchwarden stem for when I am sitting at the house, but I love the pipe so much that I want to take it with me to work. I can fill that Wizard up and smoke it during my breaks and lunch and still have enough tobacco for the trip home, but the stem was just too long for me to stuff into my pocket or to smoke easily while driving, so for work, I took the stem from a Legend and put onto the Wizard bowl and now I have a modified Wizard that suits my needs for a great work pipe. I can see that Wizard becoming my lawn mowing pipe next summer with the new stem.

momeerphil

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2009
Since other stems will fit the Wizard, it has the potential to be a very versatile pipe.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Being that ended up with two wizards. I took the stem from the defective one and stuck it my general. It smokes like a champ!

pilgrim

Lurker
Jan 22, 2015
Hey cob fans; i'm tempted to order a cobbit and i love that they have vulcanite stems; thats a must for me cause i can chew up those plastics in a couple weeks. i see on the mm shire, that the 'chamber diameter' is 3/4" which is as small as i can go cause i do like to get my little finger down in there. the 'wizard' is .825 in. what the heck is that? is that more or less than 3/4"? thanks

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
The wizard is fairly deep and more conical in bowl shape. I'd say mine is a good 1.3-1.5 inches deep and probable close to 3/4 at the top. Hope that helps!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
A general note about Forever Stems for the Cobbits: I wrote them asking if acrylic churchwarden stems would be made available, but unfortunatly they can't get the acrylic stock long enough, so we'll have to abandon the idea of churchwarden Cobbits with acrylic stems, unlless for go to a regular pipe maker. Which is a bit of a shame, because at this time, my only problem with the Cobbits is the stem button is a little small for clenching, something an acrylic stem would have solved. Ah well, can't have everything.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Well, I received the rest of my Cobbits today, after a delay because of the snowy weather: They are magnificent, and significantly different from each other. The Wizard fits nicely in a closed hand and is big enough to stun an ox; the inverted bowl of the Elf is nicely polished and also makes for a nice hold. Lastly (I've already written of the Shire) is the Dwarf, which clenches delightfully and is indeed small but still pleasant to handle. It is ideal as a workside pipe, and now rests on a tray on my computer desk. The entire series has a pipe for every purpose and time.

Wait until Friday: then I receive 3 billiards from the wonderful Paul's Pipe Shop. Photos to come on a separate posting.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
My New Years resolution was to control my PAD. Well, I made it thru January! I now have a Dwarf on the way. I'm thinking about the Shire . . . Oh well.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Oh, yes, get the Shire! The acorn shape, with a pointed hardwood heel, makes this the most unusual pipe in the Cobbit family. And it clenches. I have two of these; they are my favorite cobbits.

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
Should be getting mine tomorrow. Went ahead and ordered all four since I knew I would eventually anyway. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.