PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
One of my cats, Althea, is obsessed with pipe tobacco and seemingly virginias over other varietals but she likes them all. I have to leave bowls out to dry in a cabinet but have given her a sealed Tupperware with a mix of virginias and dfk that she rolls around with and carries around. She absolutely hates the smoke though which doesn't matter since I don't smoke inside.
Turnabout is fair play... You need to steal the cat's catnip and smoke that! :oops:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Slidell, LA
That might explain why the two cats my daughter and granddaughters adopted like to spend time under my desk where I keep part of my cellar.

The female cat will jump on my chest when I'm sitting in my recliner and rub herself on my beard after I've smoked a pipe or two. The male one will sniff my hands and like the one I hold my pipe in.

Reactions: Bright Orange Red

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
If nothing else, you can count on a cat to surprise you.

We have one cat with feline diabetes. When we learned about it and I was told he was going to need a shot of insulin twice a day, I figured, he's not going to like that, and that I would have to be crafty and fast to catch him. Now get this... I get the insulin bottle out of the fridge and he comes running... to me, not away from me. Then he jumps up on the kitchen counter, lays down and is ready for his shot. If I hadn't see it, I wouldn't have believed it. puffy

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
My beloved Lili Goon didn't like to eat tobacco, but she loved playing with pipe cleaners and would climb up on my lap when I was smoking, and then make faces if any of the smoke got to her nose.

In regards to the potential for poisoning, I did lose her after she got suddenly fell ill. It all happened in like 36 hours. The vet doesn't know what caused it but I think it might have been some kind of toxic plant or chemical she got into when I wasn't looking. I'd always figured cats would naturally avoid toxic substances, but I guess I was tragically wrong, and since I share my home, I wasn't fully aware of what could potentially be around for her to get into. Not that I think a ribbon or two of tobacco would result in something like that, but I know losing my girl broke me in two and has caused me a lot of guilt.

The Lily plant is highly toxic to cats, just an FYI.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
The Lily plant is highly toxic to cats, just an FYI.
That's a sad irony that I named her after a toxic plant and that's probably how she passed was an exposure to something toxic. In fairness, her original name was Lil' Goon, but when I took her to vets in Tijuana where we were living, they didn't understand the name, and I thought it was kind of mean to not give her a decent name, so I settled on Lili Goon.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
That's a sad irony that I named her after a toxic plant and that's probably how she passed was an exposure to something toxic. In fairness, her original name was Lil' Goon, but when I took her to vets in Tijuana where we were living, they didn't understand the name, and I thought it was kind of mean to not give her a decent name, so I settled on Lili Goon.

It's great that you cared about her and gave her a good home. There are lots of cats that would love a good home like yours, when you're ready.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
my first cat tried to eat tobacco. He only got a huge pinch of Redman. Like the kind of pinch a several pouch a day chewer would dip. Who was one of my dads friends and he was putting the wad of tobacco in when the cat came up. I followed that cat around for hours that day to make sure he was fine, he was. I swear that cat actually had nine lives at least. Seriously he lost his second one the day we found him. Seriously that cat lived 20 years and was the cutest old cat ever. Watching him hobble around with arthritis and the biggest happiest cat look on his sweet face.