PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Oakey247

Lurker
Sep 19, 2024
Burtchville, Michigan
Has anyone else had a pet that likes to try to eat pipe tobacco? When I pull a jar out of cellar and crack it open he comes running. At first I thought he just liked the smell. Today my wife asked what’s hanging out his mouth. I opened his mouth and it was a piece of ribbon cut black cavendish. I must dropped a few pieces when loading my pipe.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Careful Nicotine is very toxic to animals/cats…

I don’t have a cat(s)…

Oakey247

Lurker
Sep 19, 2024
Burtchville, Michigan

I don’t have a cat(s)…
Thank you for the information!

Reactions: Scottmi and PipeIT

Oakey247

Lurker
Sep 19, 2024
Burtchville, Michigan

I don’t have a cat(s)…

My girls run away from coffee, alcohol and tobacco. Used have friend who's dog definitely enjoys sharing a pint with him.
The cat and I are going to have serious a problem if starts to try getting into the bourbon! One of us will have to go…..the wife it would be me!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
My beloved Lili Goon didn't like to eat tobacco, but she loved playing with pipe cleaners and would climb up on my lap when I was smoking, and then make faces if any of the smoke got to her nose.

In regards to the potential for poisoning, I did lose her after she got suddenly fell ill. It all happened in like 36 hours. The vet doesn't know what caused it but I think it might have been some kind of toxic plant or chemical she got into when I wasn't looking. I'd always figured cats would naturally avoid toxic substances, but I guess I was tragically wrong, and since I share my home, I wasn't fully aware of what could potentially be around for her to get into. Not that I think a ribbon or two of tobacco would result in something like that, but I know losing my girl broke me in two and has caused me a lot of guilt.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
My girls run away from coffee, alcohol and tobacco. Used have friend who's dog definitely enjoys sharing a pint with him.
My friend and his Dad used to have a delightful Golden Retriever, and we were known to drink quite a bit of Jameson. If any spilled on the coffee table, you'd have to restrain the mutt while wiping it up, because she loved that stuff lol. Just what we all need, alcoholic pets!

Bright Orange Red

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 10, 2024
Colorado, USA
One of my cats, Althea, is obsessed with pipe tobacco and seemingly virginias over other varietals but she likes them all. I have to leave bowls out to dry in a cabinet but have given her a sealed Tupperware with a mix of virginias and dfk that she rolls around with and carries around. She absolutely hates the smoke though which doesn't matter since I don't smoke inside.

Attachments

• 20240426_201817.jpg
    20240426_201817.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 14

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Back on the farm as a kid I remember that they would put a cigarette into a dogs food as a dewormer !
Nicotine paralyzes the worms and they release their grip allowing them to be passed out of the body.

• Wow
Reactions: RPK