PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Nut. I've already been there and if it's in relation to a missing package you get redirected to the USPS site to file a claim which is what I did and the USPS says what the tracking says. That it was marked as delivered/picked up at postal facility.
Could be just the USPS loaded up with holiday mail holding it up somewhere. We shall see.

nutcracker

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2015
Well, I am missing a tobacco package as well. Mine says that it is still at the destination office (not local office), 4 days now.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
It's not just tobacco packages. And it's not just the post office. I ordered an item from Coca Cola last Monday. Paid to ship by UPS. It said 2 t0 3 business days for shipping. Friday morning it showed an arrival scan that it had arrived in New Orleans (32 miles away) and a destination scan that morning. Scheduled delivery was for 12/19. Saturday afternoon I checked again and it had been "destination scanned" again and the delivery was rescheduled for 12/22. WTF?
Normally, once a package shipped by UPS arrives in New Orleans it is "destination scanned" and placed on a truck for delivery and I get it that day. So I send UPS an email. Got the old "it's the holiday delays" excuse."
Checked this morning and the package is still sitting in New Orleans and has been destination scanned a third time. Get the same old "holiday delay" excuse from UPS.

NOW the tracking shows that it has been delivered - not to me - but to the post office (unknown location). Emailed UPS again. Told that once a package is delivered to the Post Office the post office has two business days to deliver it. So obviously it won't be delivered tomorrow as "rescheduled".
Sometimes I think UPS and the Post Office view the holidays as just a good time to rip off the customers.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
This is not in reference to the OP's post/issue but it seems as though, due to the huge and larger than expected influx of packages this Christmas season, that many of the packages are simply not being scanned to save time at each location hub. This has happened on several orders these past two weeks and especially on an rather large and expensive cigar humidor that was to be shipped from Florida. Upon checking the Tracking Number (USPS Priority Mail) it stated that USPS had received the Tracking Number for the package, but it was not in their possession yet for four days (this includes a Sunday). On day five I checked again and it was at my local post office and out for delivery and I received it that day. Bottom line... at this time of the year (Christmas) I wouldn't place too much weight, and or concern about the reliability on tracking a package. Just because a package doesn't seem to be moving does not necessarily mean that it isn't.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Sounds to me like it was pilfered by the driver. All he has to do is run his scanner over the barcode and mark it as "picked up by customer".
Just noticed your post and there is no way on earth the driver/carrier can do that. He or she can only scan the package as delivered, but not, as the OP stated: "Delivered, Individual Picked Up at Postal Facility".

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
What do you mean it can't be marked as "Delivered, Individual Picked Up at Postal Facility"?
capture-600x259.png

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
What do you mean it can't be marked as "Delivered, Individual Picked Up at Postal Facility"?
I would suggest that read my post again. I stated that the driver/carrier cannot scan it as such. That could only be done by a postal clerk.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've had this happen a few times. Not with Steve, but others. Trying to get the post office to do anything helpful is far more difficult than it should be. I've got a couple items somewhere in postal purgatory.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
That's why I'm asking Phil because I didn't get what you were saying. Thanks for clarifying.
Yeah now if the USPS would unlock my online account already I would file a claim. lol

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Well I've got a little more news. I ended up calling the Postal Inspector number instead of just relying on their website and filed a theft claim. Not that it means anything but the person taking the information thought it was very odd that it was out for delivery and then picked up at postal facility. She said the Inspector for that branch will investigate and get back to me. Also mentioned that he/she will be checking the surveillance video to see if there was any evidence of theft.
Also instead of filing a claim online she told me I'm better off filing a paper claim and gave me a number to get a claim form mailed to me.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
It must have been a small victory to finally be in contact with someone that would actually listen to you and, even more, had steps to take to try to figure this whole mess out! I hope you hear good news soon!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Not much but it's a little something anyway. I hope it's just a mix up and the package arrives soon. I've had packages show up one or two days after the tracking says they have been delivered. Good luck. :puffy:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've lived at addresses where the postal worker would mark all packages as delivered at the beginning of his route which made tracking a bit useless when one showed up missing. I get taking shortcuts, but not at the cost of rendering tracking as a useless endeavor.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks for helping to keep my hopes up. It's been a week now. I still have a little hope left but not much. lol

nutcracker

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2015
I have always had luck with the postal inspectors I have worked with. Few things are more frustrating than internal theft an no one else will investigate the matter at USPS like they will... obviously.

Dec 24, 2012
Also mentioned that he/she will be checking the surveillance video to see if there was any evidence of theft.
Of course that won't do any good if the guy was wearing a clown mask with a large yellow nose . . . and dark sunglasses . . . and a Maple Leaf's hat.
Er, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.