Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Part of the Furniture Now
And is it a beauty. It was suggested to me that I end my Falcon kit with a meerschaum-lined bowl rather than a solid meer bowl. I took that advice, because I love briar, even though I scorch all my bowls - I lost my right eye in a series of three strokes over a decade ago, and with no depth perception, all kinds of interesting things happen when lighting up. 'Nuff said.

I thought I'd take a snap of my morning smoke because it involved two pipes - the little Ropp J05 which is coming along splendidly, including as you can see, a little artistic scorching; and the new Falcon bowel, which I haven't yet lit up - I like to wait a couple of hours between smokes, so I'll do it right after lunch. As I know what breaking in a meer is like, I'll not comment on it for a while except to say that the tobacco will be rum biased, ghosting for Backwoods Buttered Rum, one of my favorite morning smokes - and the only rum based tobacco I'm really fond of.

In any case, the bowl surprised me with a truly beautiful briar, especially given the price, and the design is simple - the gasket that seals the bowl and the stem system is an easily replaceable thing . . . don't have to search for parts online. Have some springer airgun seals and some compressor seals that will work just fine. More amazing to me is that the bowl arrived from England in only 5 days after ordering. Can't complain about that!

IMGP5139.JPG

gord

Ok, I smoked some Backwoods Buttered Rum in the new bowl as pictured in this thread.

Now, I'm not a meer guy yet, and I don't know what I'm talking about, but it seems to me that the pictured bowl is soft meer, and I have a cherry aromatic dedicated to a miniature, also in soft meer. I had a somewhat decent smoke in the new bowl today - I could always taste the tobacco, and that I couldn't do in the Falcon briar bowls - it was a bad experience but they're finally smoking very, very well.

It would seem that rock meer (and I have one on it's way), ie the real deal, is much more difficult to break in. I've heard this from a number of people whom I have no reason to doubt.

I'm pleased with what happened with the meer lined briar bowl as pictured . . . . I think a half dozen smokes should do pretty good for this bowl, and I can then put it in regular rotation.

Am I on the right track, or out to lunch? As I say, today's experience was not unpleasant and I am not suffering from tongue bit or depression. I'll be most interested in your responses.

Thanks, Gord.

gord

When breaking in a falcon bowl remove the stain from the inside and from the bottom dome. Use pure alcohol. Takes a few goes till it's all gone . But breakin is quick and pleasant after that. I believe the bowls are dipped stained.
Wish I had known that about three weeks ago! When I get another regular bowl, I'll be sure to do this! Because I went the "just keep smokin' it" route, I was about to pitch the pipes! Now, those two bowls are smoking great!

This meer lined bowl gave a decent smoke from the first puff and will only get better.

Yes, the regular bowls are dip-stained or something like that for sure! I'm sure this information will help other new owners and me in the future. Merci!!