PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
I am currently travelling and in my newfound hobby/lifestyle of pipe smoking, I have begun to get interested in places of interest in the tobacco world. Today while driving I stopped in to see The Swann Shoppe in Wakefield England.

This is a stock photo, as the weather was really bad and I didn't think at the time to take photos or even a video of the shop owner. I will do better next time!

This shop has been around for over 50 years and is really quaint. You step into the shop and you are hit in the face with the wonderful smell of tobacco. The tiny shop is lined with shelves that are nicely stocked with tobaccos and pipes, as well as a whack of cigars. The owner as very knowledgeable of his tobaccos and it was great to talk tobacco and the history of the shop. It feels like you are stepping back in time to the age when you could find a lot more proper tobacconists.

In the course of my conversation with the shop owner, I asked him if He saw any interesting trends with his customers with taking up the briar. He said that he has definitely seen an uptake of the pipe in the last few years and that shop sales have increased. He has also seen a large increase of sales of cigars. I found this encouraging in light of the recent threads about pipe smoking being on the incline or decrease.

Anyhow, if you happen to be travelling up or down the M1 in England and are near Leeds, a stop in Wakefield to look up this cool little shop is well worth the stop.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
In the course of my conversation with the shop owner, I asked him if He saw any interesting trends with his customers with taking up the briar. He said that he has definitely seen an uptake of the pipe in the last few years and that shop sales have increased. He has also seen a large increase of sales of cigars. I found this encouraging in light of the recent threads about pipe smoking being on the incline or decrease.

Excellent information.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's some info on the shop courtesy of Mark Irwin's blog:

Status
Not open for further replies.