PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
I have a new briar that I carved. Nice looking pipe
handwaxed.jpg

It just doesn't smoke dry at all. I smoke the same blends that I smoke out of my cobs and they gurgle in the briar pipe and emit foul tasting fluid from the end of the stems.
Am I just spoiled by the cool and dry superior smoking of corncob pipes? I've had maybe 5 bowls in the briar and it is discouraging.
So here's my question. I started to wonder about cake buildup. The briar has little if any cake build up in it. I wonder if the cake helps to absorb some of the funk that ends up in the stem or is the pipejuice born in the stem?
-Will a good cake help to absorb the funk?

-Is the funk from the bowl or does it happen in the stem?

-Is this just something that briar pipes do and I just have to put up with it (put it on display and go back to cobs)?

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
It could be several things causing your problem. It could be that the tobacco needs some drying out, or the drilling could be a bit off on your pipe. Either way, if it starts to gurgle, just run a pipe cleaner down the stem to soak up the moisture and you should be ok. I'm sure you'll get a few other suggestions,but this is a good start.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
No, it isn't something briar pipes do, and no, cake probably won't solve the problem. Not knowing how experienced you are carving pipes, I wonder if the draft hole was drilled properly, or if it's too high, or off center. Both of these problems could cause the trouble you're having. If the draft hole is too high, Pipe Mud might solve the problem. Pipe mud works for both briar and cobs.
http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t13617-pipe-mud-for-cobs

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
+1 mark
engineering has a lot to do with it. Sometimes a re-drilling of the airway can fix it, sometimes not. but a good ole pipe cleaner will always do as well. And no, briar pipes aren't "supposed" to gurgle... but it happens sometimes.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
also, gurgle is the result of steam (not smoke) from a tobacco's moisture, or mostly casings that tend to gather into condensation in the shank at the base of the stem, and eventually can often get sucked up to your mouth, resulting in the most foul tasting gunk mankind has ever known. Try smoking dry, non-aromatic leaf in it and see if it helps any.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
I have a Savinelli Trevi 602 that no matter how I smoke or what I smoke it gurgles and smokes wet it is a total POS

I chalk it up to poor construction

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
It was a kit and the drilling was done well. I'll keep smoking it but I'm thinking cobs are just better performers.

Status
Not open for further replies.