PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2012/06/14/a-bic-lighter-and-oxidation/
Sounds easy and effective, came across it and thought I would share
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title, L.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
This is indeed incredible. I have just the stem for it, and will give it a go tomorrow. I can't help but think the application of mild heat to remove oxidized vulcanite must have been known to early pipe repairmen, perhaps working with a candle or gas light, and has been lost until its rediscovery. This is like finding the Rosetta stone.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
That's interesting.

It seems to be a simple way to oxidize the sulfur, which migrates to the surface... and then sand.

I'm not trying to be facitious, but what's the benefit if you have to sand anyway?

But, it is an interesting idea.

Thanks for sharing.
:puffy:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
That's interesting.

It seems to be a simple way to oxidize the sulfur, which migrates to the surface... and then sand.

I'm not trying to be factitious, but what's the benefit if you have to sand anyway?

But, it is an interesting idea.

Thanks for sharing.
:puffy:

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Maybe less sanding might be involved if the sulfur at the surface is removed by heat? The more sanding involved the greater the disfigurement of the stem. Dunno. But I'll give it a go.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
A candle, eureka! Sounds like the heat brings it out better which is the main point of it

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Great find Andrew.
I'm not trying to be facitious, but what's the benefit if you have to sand anyway?
+1
I might try it on a stubborn stem I have but I have to wonder if soaking in oxiclean and sanding isn't just as good.
There's no effort with the oxiclean method except for the waiting and the sanding afterwards—which still has to be done with this method (plus there's no risk of disfiguring the stem).

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
After reading the article, I just had to try it... And I found that while there is some merits to the idea(it did seem to soften the oxidation) it did not produce very impressive results. I tried using heat on one side of the stem and a damp magic eraser on the other, each for about 10 minutes. Sure the heat is a lot easier to apply and takes much less efforts but the magic eraser work a lot better at removing the oxidation. The interesting part however, was when I tried the eraser on the side that had been heated, the oxidation took about half the time to remove. Not too sure if its worth it tho, as it took longer overall to accomplish the same thing.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I think the wet paper towel is key to the success, as well as wiping the stem that the flame has heated, I think a YouTube video should be made by whoever does it successfully

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Just did all my stems using this method and a candle, it's magic. Didn't have to do any sanding at all which is the benefit as sanding takes off layers of vulcinate. It seems like the trick is heating it enough, you should smell a burning rubber like smell, and the stem will become bendy so you have to bend the curve back because it straightens out. Took the sour smell out, this is definately my first choice for quick effective oxidation removal. Did about 9 stems in 30 minutes, went from a dark brown back to jet black, now time to put on some polish to really make them shine

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I have used this method for getting small amounts in hard to get areas with good effect. Personally, I don't want to heat every stem to the point of miss-shaping and reshaping it of possibly damaging it. For that stubborn spot you can't easily get or the bit you missed, it is a great idea though IMHO.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I've found a slightly different method with my oxidized stems. When using a Dremel tool along with a buffing pad it will heat up the stem if ran across very slowly and the heat build up from that alone has turned my stems back to the natural black color.

Status
Not open for further replies.