PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
My Chinese made ST Dupont 'memorial' lighter arrived today. Quite solidly built, expertly machined, heavy as a brick, and incontestably elegant. This lighter is well worth the $30 price tag and 2 week wait for delivery. I've never seen an authentic ST Dupont in person but I would guess that this is a very worthy replica. Feels great in hand, works perfectly, and has a very satisfying, resonant 'ping' when flipped open. Time will tell if it holds up but it seems a high quality piece.

8c2528f0-3973-425f-8985-e84de2376dee-600x600.jpg

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I have a Jetline G pipe lighter I got off of eBay for $ 14.95 shipped. Butane. Works fine. Doesn’t burn your fingers. I had several expensive cigar lighters that I lost. So when I took up the pipe, I decided a different approach was wise for me personally. The money saved goes into more pipe tobacco. YMMV and that’s fine too.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
pipendrum: Great photo of a new fine lighter and meerschaum. My first one is going on two months, and is just fine.
Changing flints is a bear- until you find the video that illustrates it. I broke down and just received my fourth one.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I purchased a IM Corona Double a few months back for a very good price and it turns out that it must be leaking and needs to be sent in for service.

I'd rather not deal with that so I went ahead and bought a Pipemaster cause I'd rather not fuss with flints and sending $35 check in.

And its gold and will be engraved cause I'm fancy.

(got 15% off at eLighters, btw, and their prices seem lower than everywhere else already)

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Somebody gave me a Dupont Ligne 2 a few years back, and it's surely a beautiful lighter. You can feel the value of it in your hand. I'd probably use it more often, but the fuel is expensive and i just love to use matches. I second the matches motion. If i'm out of matches I use a .99 cent gas station crack lighter cranked down medium/low, which works great and costs almost nothing. Outdoors on a windy day, it's always great to have a good ol' Zippo handy, regardless of whatever insert you prefer. I only break out the Dupont for black-tie affairs.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Also, to any folks out there worrying about burning their fingers, the best advice I can give you is to quit playing with fire. :puffpipe:

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
I have a corona, but prefer My Zippo with the pipe insert. Easy to fill, Plus you get the coolness factor of flipping it closed...

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Vector for me, although I *am* considering a Chinese DuPont.
As far as castigating people who burn with bics, I won't do it, since having had frozen joints in my hands for over 30 years I know exactly how easy it really is ato do damage. :)

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
That's my only grouse with my Vector, & I can even live with that. Shelter it in the hand, or turn the cars a/c fan down for a minute. Otherwise I really like it.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Don't do it Mike, Your gonna miss the closing of the lid. Claaaaap.. Zippos rock!

Jan 8, 2013
A couple weeks ago, I was sitting outside the coffee shop having a coffee and enjoying a good smoke. It was quite windy, but of course my trusty pipe Zippo had no problems sparking up and staying lit to light my pipe. Anyway, a man walked up and we were having a conversation about smoking (he's smoked a pipe but smokes cigars pretty exclusively now)which in turn became a conversation about my Zippo. He's a wealthy man, born in Italy, later lived in France, now lives in the U.S.A. Expensive suit, expensive watch, expensive car, and shoes made from a leather so soft you could use them in place of toilet paper... well if you so choose. He talked about his lighters, one in particular costing well over a grand. Cartier, I believe was the brand. He said the lighter kept failing in one way or another, and having it repaired of course cost money as well. And when it came down to it, most of his expensive lighters were, in his opinion, crap... nothing more than overpriced status symbols that more often than not became overpriced paper weights. His true love amongst lighters? You guessed it... Zippo. Although he had a few pricey lighters, the brand that he always fell back on, that were always reliable, and that he never had any serious issues with were Zippos. He said in fact that he collected them and had many. The other lighters? Simply something to show off, at least while they worked. :rofl:

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I use to bellyache about my zippo running out of fluid and went to a bic for awhile but they suck in the wind. I'm back to the zippo pipe lighter or a grill lighter if I'm out on the deck where it lives.
I have a Colibri but can't stand it. It never lights without some sort of fiddling so it stays in a desk drawer as an emergency backup. I don't see myself getting into expensive lighters - yet another disorder (LAD).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
With a bit of practice/ trial and error, a soft butane flame can light and relight pipes in wind up to 15 knots or so.
Reliable/cheap/refillable/attractive. Pick two for cheap lighters, three for higher end.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With a bit of practice/ trial and error, a soft butane flame can light and relight pipes in wind up to 15 knots or so.
If I ever get some time away from work I'll do a video on that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That'd be great!

IIRC, you face the wind, but I turn my back and hunch over, both hands—and maybe an arm— forming wind shields. Hands generally cupped right over the bowl. Trees, buildings, walls, other people, whatever can also can help when available.

Status
Not open for further replies.