PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I have always favored the wooden plugged Diplomat but since being one of the lucky ones to nab one of the Limited Editions of the Reverse Calabash aka Wasp I think I've could a cob that handles walkabout perfectly and I found a corker of a wind cap for and can't wait for it to arrive. For those who did not pick up a Wasp I understand there is a modified version being worked on as to not have it be confused with the Limited Edition, hope to hear more soon.

banjo
e1235eda4797578be1822c57d08906769da7641.jpg

May 4, 2015
Diplomat 5th Ave. Good size bowl and hardwood plug. It has the better "Danish" bit and I like the finish better than the yellow stain.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
All of the above, definitely, but...
The one I keep reaching for is the Ozark Hardwood. It weighs almost nothing, smokes cool after a brief break-in period and costs $3.99 at Pipes and Cigars.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, the diplomat, the Danish spool, and for a great big bowl for Semois and codger burley, the freehand.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
No way for me to pick just one ... I tried and it made my brain hurt. 8O
So, I'll just throw out a few models and what I like them for.
For longer smokes and/or "big bowl" blends - Country Gentleman, Mark Twain, Diplomat (love the apple)
Medium length smokes and/or Va's and Va/per's - Legend (love my Rob Roy) and Washington
Short smokes while at work, running errands or sampling - Morgan, Eaton and Tom Sawyer
There is some cross-over between the first and second groupings when it comes to certain Va/per's and English blends.
I would say that the one I've reached for the most, recently, has been the Mark Twain.

Flakes consist of a large part of my diet and the Twain smokes them nicely. :puffy:

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I love the Mark Twain. It just plain smokes anything you can throw at it. I own three now and plan to order more. I also love my General. It will give you a nice, long, even smoke every time.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Have only smoked it twice thus far and plan on giving it a go with some Special Latakia Flake and some 5 y/o Stonehaven between now and the 4th, I can honestly say it was the coolest smoke I ever experienced in a cob right out the gate and once it really breaks in I will enjoy it all the more, regards.

banjo

Jun 4, 2014
The local B&M only carries the MM Legend, so that's what my collection of cobs consist of. I always mean to add a different style to my basket when I get a TAD attack, but I seem to forget.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
The Rob Roy Legend. Rusticob Diplomat and The Five Star Mcarthur. Because cobs are COOL!

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
My 5th Ave Nose Warmers. Besides smoking Burley like no other pipe I like the chamber size for my flakes.

20150501_120635.jpg

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'm fond of my larger MM cobs - the Country Gentleman, the Mark Twain, and the Great Dane. They all smoke well, and give me plenty of time for cogitation while enjoying whatever I smoke in them.

Mar 1, 2014
The General for being the widest bore tobacco chamber Cob with the super wide open draw, the MacArthur for being a hybrid Chimney/Churchwarden, and the Wizard for being a full blown Churchwarden Cob, and nice and tall too (the Wizard just doesn't have the super open draw).

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
"“it's a cob, smokes fine but what else did you expect?” " Yeah, sorry to those that missed out, it really does smoke good and cool..
The Great Dane Spool is my favorite, thick walled, large chamber and just fits the hand so well. I have 9, from 10 years to 3 months old, that are smoked in rotation all day long. At least one of my Wasp, 'neekd' Freehand and/or General gets smoke daily. Those three get the thick gawith flakes..
An older Egg or my Squire usually get a bowl of McConnells Red Virigina after dinner for dessert.
They all have mm danish bits. I do have a nice red acrylic bit for my finished Freehand, but it is real heavy and doesn't get smoked much.
a modified version being worked
Are there any more details you could give?

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
I got a couple of neked Spools a few months ago from Aristocob. Nice and light, smoke well.
Not meant as a tease, I want another. After that last post I filled it with some Vintage Syrian, yeah this is good tobacco and a good smoke. I'll use all my capital with the man upstairs for a re-release.

Status
Not open for further replies.