PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

illicitdreams

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2010
I'm using lint free cloths, and believe it or not, metal polish, if you ever try it, use a product called Flitz, or Blue Magic Metal polish. Just make sure and clean the stem really good before it's smoked to get all the residue off from the polish.
The only reason I'm going this route, is I noticed on reading up about restoring pipes Flitz was used quite often for heavily oxidized Vulcanite stems. Blue Magic isthe same stuff as Flitz, and cheaper.
I tried the Brebbia stem polish at first, but it wasn't making a dent in the oxidation. So I had to go in search of the big guns so to speak.
As for the reamer I'm using it's a Brebbia reaming kit, then I also have a nylon shank brush, and the old stand by pipe cleaners.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Those are good and so is rubbing compound for automotive paint. The plus of the rubbing compound is it's usually a good bit cheaper. Right now I am using Turtle Wax Red .

illicitdreams

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2010
I had thought about rubbing compound but wasn't sure it would work.
Bubba, the Blue Magic can be found at most auto parts stores and is roughly half the price of a small tube of Flitz. But I'm sure HF would carry something similar. Just make sure it says safe for plastics and fiberglass as well as metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.