PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I know this isn't a normal post.

But, I just finished watching one of the best documentaries I have ever seen.

This man won six Oscars.... but, none for his westerns....

Damn Shame.

Just thought I'd share it.

JohnFord.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfBdQtQm_GQ

:puffy:

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
John Ford westerns are tops, especially The Searchers and Rio Grande. I have heard he was brutal to work for though.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Stagecoach is another great one. This movie (and Red River) served as a bridge for John Wayne from "B" Westerns to legendary status. I think John Ford deserves much of the credit for Wayne's success.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon is one of my favorites.

Capt. Brittals and Quincannon... great stuff.
And... The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance...

intrepid721

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2013
Thornton, Colorado
Thank you for bringing attention to this Lawrence, I'm anxious to view it in its entirety, while I might not be a member of the current generation (I'm 35), I have a great fondness for classic movies, the western genre in particular. I am in the minority among my peers I sadly have to admit, they don't know what they are missing when it comes to the way greats such as Ford told a story with elegant mastery. Good looking out, cheers!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
John Wayne freely admitted how much he owed to John Ford and that he cried when he heard he had died.
"The Quiet Man" is my favorite John Wayne movie, but the astounding quality of the Ford/Wayne westerns is simply amazing.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have a great fondness for classic movies, the western genre in particular.

Good on ya my friend.

There is a whole world of movies that the younger generations are missing out on.

While I have no inclination to deride the new style of movie making... e.g. Avatar, LOTR, etc...

Some new film makers just lack the art of "story telling" that John Ford in particular, and others of the past had in abundance.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Lawrence, I have watched that documentary and really enjoyed it. I am a huge fan of the Duke and love all the westerns he did with John Ford. I am a huge western fan and have probably watched every one that is worth watching. Just this last week I watched The Professionals with Lee Marvin and Burt Lancaster, Doc with Yulin Harris and Stacy Keach and Faye Dunaway, El Dorado with John Wayne and Robert Mitchum and Wild Bill with Jeff Bridges. I probably watch at least 3 westerns a week. It is a shame that Hollywood doesn't make more of them. More recent favorites that Hollywood has produced is Hidalgo, Appaloosa and Open Range. Maybe my all time favorite is The Wild Bunch by Peckinpah.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
If you ever travel thru Oklahoma City, stop at the "American Cowboy Hall of Fame Museum". They have an entire wing devoted to the film/television cowboy and an entire section on John Wayne. You can see the giant "Trail of Tears" statue from the NY Worlds Fair from the interstate, so you can't miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.