PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Ive found that if you master the look of being lost and confused that most things will be forgiven. Just dont act like an entitled jerk and most things work themselves out. There will always be someone who will get pissed off at you just becuase you are a tourist. The overtourism thing is real and a real problem in some areas.

As for la bise. The French know you dont know. Just let them lead. If you are not comfortable with it stick you hand out and shake. Strangers dont kiss one another typically. Now, if you are in the home of a relative and guests come over they probably will offer. Kind of a friend of a friend or a friend of family. There are not hard and fast rules for those occasions.

I think the main thing is always to remember when you are not home. It isnt that much different than going to someone elses home. I imagine you dont walk around in your underwear. Same thing...different day. Its beyond me how some people go somewhere and simply act a fool.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOHN72

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
This was one of the things that I didn't care for, as well as bartering. I hate bartering. They usually already want pennies on the dollar, why do they want me to talk them down? It never made sense to me. I would usually just walk away from their "peasant" little negotiation, only to have them running after me with a lower price, exasperated that I would walk away.
Life of Brian, the primer for bartering.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
This was one of the things that I didn't care for, as well as bartering. I hate bartering. They usually already want pennies on the dollar, why do they want me to talk them down? It never made sense to me. I would usually just walk away from their "peasant" little negotiation, only to have them running after me with a lower price, exasperated that I would walk away.
De rigeur in parts of Asia. It’s all part of the sales process.
One I’m not adept at.

On a trip to Hong Kong many years ago, I dutifully bartered hard and agreed on a price 30% less than the ticketed price.
Just as I was about to pay, in walked the mother of a friend who had a shop a few doors away. When the shopkeeper realised I was a family friend, he apologised profusely and dropped the price a further 30% 😁

Reactions: Merton and JOHN72