PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Redbearcat

Lurker
May 14, 2020
A fine white ash is developed by the appropriate wearing of an ascot while seated in an overstuffed leather chair at the country club. Rarely will the common man come close to the bottom of the bowl.
Also the pipe must be a Dunhill.

if that doesn't work, just dump the carp out!

GJMinVT

Lurker
May 7, 2020
Vermont
I feel less incompetent now!
I almost feel like a fool for having chased that fine ash now that I’ve been at this a few years. I thought that I was still doing something wrong, and I’m a bit of a perfectionist. I saw comments from smokers I respect describing it and thinking I must be doing something wrong and need to keep perfecting my technique.

Someone or someones on here commented that you shouldn’t smoke if you don’t enjoy and it finally clicked for me.
yep... I’m that perfectionist, too. Clicked as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
New smokers often have a little more dottle than experienced smokers, but don't worry about it. When the taste diminishes in quality, just end the smoke. Or when the relight doesn't stay lit. I've had mostly cobs burn blends to white ash, but usually have a small bit of dottle. It is of no concern.

GJMinVT

Lurker
May 7, 2020
Vermont
New smokers often have a little more dottle than experienced smokers, but don't worry about it. When the taste diminishes in quality, just end the smoke. Or when the relight doesn't stay lit. I've had mostly cobs burn blends to white ash, but usually have a small bit of dottle. It is of no concern.
I’ve now figured out which blends burn to ask (Va/Per, English and Orientals for me it seems) and which don’t (Aromatics, etc). Regardless, your advice was spot on useful

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Ask yourself, are you working for the pipe and tobacco or are they working for you? When something about smoking inhibits your enjoyment, causes you some anxiety or concern, you need to rid yourself of it. There's no hard and fast rule that you have to smoke every last shred of tobacco. As your experience and skills in drying, prepping, packing, lighting and smoking improve, it will be a natural progression. Or not. If you enjoy the smoke and end up dumping 1/4" of Doyle every bowl, who GAF?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
What kind of a pipe smoker are you??!! Smoke that damn bowl all the way to the bottom and beyond! There are kids in Africa that would kill for that 1/4 g of soggy ass dottle and besides a perfectly good tobacco leaf died for your selfish pleasure, so smoke that shit until your tongue blisters from inhaling pure flame and butane! If the pipe isn’t actually spewing flames and if you can’t taste charred briar it ain’t done yet. Cowboy up, Pilgrim! ???

Just yanking your chain, lol. Dump it and move on. Life’s too short.

GJMinVT

Lurker
May 7, 2020
Vermont
All this advice has been perfect. In the last several weeks, I've avoided what's at the bottom and on many occasions, I was able to find a pace and a packing that actually burned the bowl completely to ashes. It's not necessarily my goal, but I'm finding it happens when I don't think too hard. I'm finding my way.

I put a bowl of Early Morning into a new Sav. Can anyone remind me how many bowls, on average, need to go through a new pipe before the tobacco is enjoyable? 4? 5? That first bowl experience wasn't what it was in my other, broken-in pipes.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
There’s no magic number for breaking in a new pipe. The briar is unique to each pipe, a million other factors from the tobacco to your smoking habits, bowl coatings, etc.

It will happen, just be patient and keep smoking the pipe. You’ll know when it’s broken in but you may not be able to pinpoint the moment it happened.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
tenor.gif

3!

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I find it easier to get no dottle with cobs and meers. On a good day, they will also smoke right to the bottom without getting the bottom tobacco wet throughout the smoke and changing its flavour toward the end. Both meer and cobs seem to be more absorbent than briar, and they appear to absorb moisture that would have collected in the tobacco.

This is why I find myself preferring meers these days.

When I'm smoking a cob and I get a wiff of burning wood, then I know I'm at the bottom puffy

It's the rare bowl that I'll smoke all the way to the bottom, be it a briar or a cob. I usually dump the last quarter bowl just because it isn't tasting great anymore. Once in a while it goes great all the way down to the bottom, but not often. As others have said, put the pipe down when it's no longer enjoyable. If you smoke half a bowl, and it seems to be disagreeing with you, then dump it. No big deal.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
When I'm smoking a cob and I get a wiff of burning wood, then I know I'm at the bottom puffy

It's the rare bowl that I'll smoke all the way to the bottom, be it a briar or a cob. I usually dump the last quarter bowl just because it isn't tasting great anymore. Once in a while it goes great all the way down to the bottom, but not often. As others have said, put the pipe down when it's no longer enjoyable. If you smoke half a bowl, and it seems to be disagreeing with you, then dump it. No big deal.
UNLESS IT'S MCCLELLAND OR 20 YEAR OLD ESOTERICA.. IN THAT CASE SMOKE THAT SHIT

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've never been concerned with smoking it all. The funny thing is how the longer I've been smoking the less there is left and the more times I get the clean white ash. The thing is it's never a goal. It just kind of happens. In fact recently I have been dumping the ash out and then mildly flabergasted by the lack of leaf. I think part of me is used to the idea of some tobacco being thrown out because of years of smoking rolling cigs.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
UNLESS IT'S MCCLELLAND OR 20 YEAR OLD ESOTERICA.. IN THAT CASE SMOKE THAT SHIT
heck even if you're having some near fatal anaphylactic reaction you better smoke your 20 year old MCcelland or Esoterica because god help us when we find out you threw that away we'll do something far worse then that (namely never ever letting it drop.)