PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrier52

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2011
If you like the frogs you should like the Shortcut to Mushrooms. I need to order more shortcut myself.

keeper

Lurker
Jun 29, 2010
Regular Frog Morton was one of the first tobaccos I smoked, and I liked it a lot. FMOTB was the first blend with perique for me, also. Haven't had any of either in a while. Gonna have to get some.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
If you like the frogs you should like the Shortcut to Mushrooms. I need to order more shortcut myself.

STM is cavendish, and latakia, and flavoured right? I don't like flavourings, or cavendish really.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
chispa asked:

"What other blends would you say fall in the same style as the Frog on the Bayou?"
Sutliff's Blend No.5 - Cavendish and latakia. This blend gets trashed on tobaccoreviews.com and I'm not sure why. The blender was trying to replicate Dunhill's My Mixture #965 and failed. In failure they created a new blend that is really quite great. Very cool smoking. Spicy cavendish, rich and earthy latakia and big clouds of thick white smoke. Pure heaven. I think if Sutliff stopped trying to market this as a 965 clone, the reviews would be much kinder.

No. 5 is similar to the Frog Morton line where a cavendish base is matched with a big wad of latakia. I give a slight edge to No. 5 because they got the latakia measure a bit closer to my liking.

loborx

Apr 20, 2011
marmal4de: I think chispa was after some ideas for blends similar to FMOTB. I read his experience with FMOTB and it mirrored my experience with No. 5. That's all I based my suggestion on. YMMV.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
Just finished my 2nd bowl of FMOTB. Got this a few days ago and now I see what all the fuss is about. It's just like Chispa says in the first post. Liquid smoke... thick, white, creamy. Delicious blend - it's full of flavorful smokiness. Can't wait to try the others. This is one I'll be adding to my regular rotation + cellar :puffy:

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
It's not any one component that's producing the effect you're describing -- it's a synergistic effect. Also, I believe the VAs in the Frog series are subjected to a cavendish process that helps produce the body you describe. The latakia used is also a cool, smoky, and smooth leaf -- delicious stuff. The perique in FMOTB is barely noticeable to me, but I like blends where the perique is HEAVILY applied.
All of the Frog Morton blends are delicious, and all of them have that "liquid smoke" characteristic you describe. I don't smoke them much because they are so mild, but I do think they are examplary blends and recommend them to others. I like blends with a lot of strength to them, and the Frogs are probably the mildest latakia blends on the market. Which, of course, makes them ideal for folks who are just starting to get into latakia.
And yes -- I think Shortcut to Mushrooms would be right up your alley. BUT I would even more highly recommend "Northwoods" by Boswell's. It's a lot like Frog Morton on steroids -- more flavor, more nicotine, more body.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
All of the Frog Morton blends are delicious, and all of them have that "liquid smoke" characteristic you describe.
That's great to hear since I've wanted to try them all. There's a local b&m blend that it reminds me of but the FMOTB seems to have a lot more flavor. I think I'm going to have another bowl before the night's up.

Status
Not open for further replies.