Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
And another thing.
How effen hard is it to upload a damn avatar!?!?! Seriously. WTF?
I admit that at times it seems like parts of this website are held together by chewing gum and powered by a squirrel running on a wheel. The auto-avatar functionality decided it didn't want to work anymore when new members sign up, and even though the welcome email tells people how to upload an avatar, they don't.
I'm about to make a new default avatar that says, "I'm too lazy or computer illiterate to upload an avatar."

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
amen to that! i like to see who i'm chatting with (or if not them, then an avatar that encapsulates some aspect of their personality)

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I manage business portals for a very large orginization. Whenever built in functionality does not work properly you will have a large percentage of people who are confused. It always works that way. Always, Always, Always. Not going to change. I'm sure if I wasn't so damn lazy I could search and figure out how to post my avatar.... but I have been wondering for 3 months why it doesn't work:))))
You have to remeber that most folks do not even have the level of knowledge of a low level technician. Very bluntly speaking: Using a computer to surf the web, and participate in online forums is not "technical". That action is more aptly described as social entertainment. It is like watching TV. If the knobs or the remote quits working the end user of a TV knows how to change the batteries or do a rain dance. Hopefully one of those will solve his/ her problem.
Automatically generated emails from system email addresses are largely ignored. Even "pretend personalization", will get more attention. There are always going to be folks who do read and pay attention to certain email/ newsletters; however, the average person now days is a member of at least 10-15 different online forums. Bottom line people pay more attention to emails from people.
My last line of heartbreak is.... if you are delivering a service, and it's broke you have to fix it. I realize this may not be crucial for you considering all of the members are not paying for the site; however, if we were direct customers it would be a different story. Purpose and use make up the value composition of service delivery. Broken functionality = low value = lost revinue.
Go ahead and slap me... I know I deserve it:)

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
My suggestion would be to have the "change avatar" link under "your profile" to point to http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/profile/username/avatar instead of the current location of http://pipesmagazine.com/members/username/profile/change-avatar.
The assumption is that the second URL is the broken functionality that confuses folks. It just so happens that the second location is the one that jumps out at everyone as the place where they should go to effect said change.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
This is the one that's driving me insane - http://pipesmagazine.com/members/username/profile/change-avatar because it shows up on the home page with all the blank spaces.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person that looks at the home page.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I like to see who Im chatting with too. At least post a pic with your pipe. It is a pipe forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.