PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverback

Might Stick Around
Feb 26, 2019
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
In August 2018 I threw my back out. Back problems have been in my life for a long time. When something happened it would go like this...throw it out, sleep on the floor for a few days...all good. Not this time. No matter what I did it was pain 24/7. Hiking, camping and kayaking stopped. I couldn't do much more than lay on the sofa. Even the simplest things were difficult. Pulling on socks and tieing my boots for work every morning took twenty minutes of painful exertion. After a month I went to a doctor for the issue. X-rays and a MRI showed the spine was out of wack due to a herniated disc. Physical therapy and spinal injections were prescribed. Physical therapists said they couldn't help and two rounds of spinal injections didn't help. I was not able to sleep through the night, not able to help around the house, just not able. Hunched over and relying on a cane I painfully went through my days.

Cursing
Luckily I have an incredible woman and family that understood the situation. They gave me the support that I needed. They were understanding of my moods. They missed out on things to care for me. If I started getting low they would prop me up...sometimes literally LOL. She didn't stop or sway even when she had too much. She woke up at 4:00am and put on my socks and tied my boots for me.

Lucky man
It's been a week since I had spinal surgery. Disc decompression and removal of some junk that was floating around in there. Nothing too major. The surgeon said the disc was very large and all went well. Recovery is going great! I can stand up straight again. I'm not in much pain and I'm walking as much as I can. It's a minimum of two weeks before I can drive and minimum of three weeks until I can return to work. I've never really had down time like this before so I'm looking to fill my days. There are limitations to what I can do but I'll take this over having to be flat and in pain. The overall mood has changed! I'm not the miserable man that showed up a few months back. We are starting to make plans for trips and getting our life back!
She's happy to have me back.

She is still taking care of me...always taking care of me.

Grateful man.
Thanks for reading

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
You are a lucky man.....I hope this resolves your back issues. I have a relative who is essentially crippled for life and it is heartbreaking. Stay positive and make those plans and follow through with them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yep, I always thought of angels as somewhat sentimental mythical religious figures. Nope. We discover we're married to them, have them as children or grandchildren, friends, fellow church members, or encounter them in the hospital or medical offices, or as complete strangers sometimes. Some four-legged creatures will nurse you like your mom. Thank them; let them know; pass it on when you see the opportunity. Back surgery is a major trial. I'll keep you in my thoughts. Be mindful of pain meds and keeping their use under control, as essential as they are.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Glad to hear you are doing well. I had a similar issue in the past with a herniated disc but no surgery. How much time was there before the last back episode and the surgery? Was the extruded mass from the disc pressing on your sciatic nerve? Rest and don't push yourself! Cheers.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Bad backs equal poor mental health. Luck to you! Soon, I hope, you'll be able to do the little things again. I'm pulling for you.
A loving wife and supportive family are integral to your recovery. You are a lucky man in spite of the back problems. A very lucky man! But, you knew that. Heal well!

Silverback

Might Stick Around
Feb 26, 2019
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
mso589, I have a prescription for some sort of opioid but have not had it filled. Managing without if I can.
mau1, it was almost six months to the day from the day of the herniation to surgery and was pushing against the nerves in such a way that my left legs went numb from thigh to ankle.
Thanks everyone for the well wishes!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
All wishes for a speedy and full recovery. I was prescribed an opioid- hydrocodone- five years ago for occasional back pain. Through awareness of my ability to get hooked on something, so far I take them only on occasion, and almost never twice in one day. And many days are skipped altogether.
Good luck!

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
6 months, that's hell. Typically the body will absorb the extruded mass in 2 months or so. Your situation was much more severe. And Warren's post was spot on. Depression is a constant companion with back problems, and other long-term health issues. Glad you have turned the corner on this.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
A good support system is one of several factors to a full and speedy recovery. You sound like a truly blessed man, and it warms the heart to hear gratitude for one's spouse/partner. We need more models like that! Good luck on your recovery!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I completely understand your story. I’ve had spinal surgery myself and know the dark times associated with the pain in recovery. It’s a long and winding road, but it does get better. God Speed on your recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.