PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Kudos to Pylorns and all the other organizers of the Texas Pipe Show, held yesterday at Pop's Safari Room in Fort Worth. It was a a great location and the place was packed from almost the moment the doors opened at 10:00 AM Saturday morning. Lots of traffic and lots of sales for the vendors! I liked that part! (-;
Also, the show's raffle money was donated to one of the organizations that is helping the Texas Gulf Coast flood victims and the raffle raised around $700, I believe.
The Slow Smoking Contest was also a lot of fun with around 20 competitors. It was won by Wes Brown, and that sure shocked me because West was "First Out" at our own Central Texas Pipe Club's annual slow smoking contest a couple of years ago. The boy must have been practicing because he "smoked" the competition.
I was not able to stay for the after the show dinner, but if it was anything like the show itself, I am sure it was a dandy feed, too.
I'll sure be back next year and urge anyone who wants to attend a super fun pipe and tobacco event with all the trimmin's, to make plans to saddle up and come on down next year!
The Texas Pipe Show has its own Website, so you might want to bookmark this one - http://www.texaspipeshow.com/

Jan 8, 2013
Great to hear it went well. What sucks is I live in Fort Worth, but wasn't able to make it. It would have been great to meet a lot of you that went (from the forum and Facebook) in person.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
What a great show. Thanks to Pylorns and all that helped put this together. The venue was perfect. Pops Safari Room was most accommodating friendly and comfortable. Lots of good vintage tobacco, pipes and stuff. Looking forward to next year.
Congratulations Wes on the slow smoking contest.
Richard 1
'

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Boy, I'm so glad to hear good news from Texas after all the state has suffered. I hope some of the Houstonians made it up there to enjoy some untroubled sociability. My wife was lucky to get assigned to do a food-writing tour of Texas years ago. She found many great stories and people. When the New Coke was introduced, one of the bottlers just kept making it the old way -- said they didn't have any device to play the instruction video on the new Coke. Which of course belly-flopped big time. She loved the barbecue, the Tex Mex, and much else about the food and culture.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Actually MSO, what was so inspiring to me was the fact that the Houston Pipe Club, despite all the issues caused by that terrible hurricane, remained committed to putting on the show (along with the Central Texas Pipe Club and Dallas area pipe club). Several of the Houston Pipe Club members were a HUGE part of making the show a success.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Oh man, I completely forgot to also name the Austin Pipe Club which was also HUGE in their efforts at putting on the show. Without the Austin Pipe Club, the event would have been impossible to pull off. Sorry guys! :(

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
It was a great time. Nice to see you again Steve. I was able to meet several folks and picked up a pipe from Bill Walther. Great guy and a Hell of a deal. Will definitely make it out to next year's show.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The show was heavily promoted on The Country Squire podcast, I'm glad to hear it was successful!

I'd also love to see some pictures.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I saw a bunch of shutterbugs there, so, I am sure there will be photos forthcoming. I still can't get over how good that show was. Another plus, it is the only show in the USA other than the West Coast Pipe Show in Vegas where smoking was allowed in the venue.
Pipestud

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Happy to hear it was a smashing success; some day I'd like to visit Texas.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Some nice pictures here:
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/texaspipeshow/
I also found some pictures from the TPS website:
texasshowpipe-278x300.png

stg-lane-300x203.png

4z2xq786clen.jpeg

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Now that's the gang I know and love!
Live streaming the slow smoke contest? Wow, that might just bump the Super Bowl as the most watched annual sports event in America!
Pipestud

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Well, I did spend the first 30 years of my career as a sports broadcaster including 18-years as a horse race track announcer. I'm already thinking of great lines to use during such a broadcast... "Wow, look at Jake's pucker on the intake! He'll need to slow it down in order to get a good cadence going on the exhale to conserve his tobacco. Check out Pete's masterful streaming on the exhale, I think he's in the groove and conserving his weed nicely! Uh oh, Harry's fire has just gone out and he's done! And his wife has just informed me that Harry's fire actually went out way before this contest... "
Am I hired, pylorns? Please? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.