PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Also, Aros will wear thin at some point.
Brother, you sure got that right! The vast number of widely available commercial aros eventually wear so thin like an old shoe with a big hole in the bottom. But many of the better ones make nice mixes with other tobaccos.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
and another note additionally, when one is worn out /exhausted no bled tastes good, in these events I personally tend to smoke lighter/one dimensional tobacco, but again I'm not seasoned pipesmoker,rather a former cigarette addict.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I use a meerschaum for testing. I do, however, believe that it really takes at least an ounce to really get to know a blend. I recommend smoking only that one tobacco while you're figuring it out. Mixing different flavors can confuse your palate. I will smoke it at different speeds and with different packing methods, but I focus on only that one blend until I decide whether or not I enjoy it. Just my 2 cents.
Tim

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whatever you try, when you don't like it, save it in a jar anyway. Your tastes will change. Sorry to belabor this, but it is so true.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Whatever you try, when you don't like it, save it in a jar anyway. Your tastes will change. Sorry to belabor this, but it is so true.

This is worth mentioning just about every time in these instances. :puffy:
In my case, I don't worry about forming a firm opinion anytime fast ... unless it absolutely sucks. I haven't run into that for years ...

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My question is, what are yall's (sorry, I'm southern) routines when testing out a brand new blend? How many bowls does it take for you guys to determine if you like it or not? Any guidance here?
Technically, the best advice is probably to jar the blend, get out a new cob, and sample it once every few days over the next couple weeks.
In reality, for me, the excitement is hard to contain, so I pull out a warhorse, load up and blast. This is the opposite of "scientific." Then I see where the inspiration lies... usually the first bowl is not determinative. But, it does form a prima facie test of interest. If low interest, I jar the stuff and let it sit for awhile. Rainy days happen and sometimes one simply craves variety, although this happens less for some of us than others. If it is interesting, I smoke all of it and then order some more, just to confirm my diagnosis that what went up in smoke was as good as I thought it was.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
When you get your technique down, be sure to go back to those blends you didn't like as a beginner. It's entirely possible it was your fault and not the tobacco's.
Once you know how to smoke without making every bowl a steamy swamp of hot garbage, then follow chasingembers advice.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I'll try a new blend in a cob and then a meerschaum. I think I know how my briars will react to different tobaccos. If I enjoy the,new blend, I'll go to my briars next. There are many tobaccos that don't do anything for me at the time, but become favorable much later. Jar them up and put them away. You'll be happy you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.