PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
Heads-up: I ordered all three available bulldog-style bowls (smooth, hunter smooth, and rusticated) because each of them had very different inner bowl measurements according to tobaccopipes.com (and I like bulldogs). The reality upon receiving them is that they all have the exact same inner bowl dimensions. I wouldn't have ordered three of the same type had I known that ahead. Beware the specs on the sites!

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
An issue that can arise when using dry rings, Falcon or home made, is that due to minute variances in fit, the ring can slightly inhibit the draw. Sometimes, not so slightly.

There are two ways around this. First, slightly round the edges of the draught-hole. This is something I do to most of my bowls, as it reduces the amount of moisture (I assume due to better airflow), and allows trouble-free usage of dry rings.

Like this:
View attachment 324415

Pardon the dust.

The other way to avoid the issue is to not use the cursed things at all; a quarter-turn of the bowl, flick the stem, replace the bowl, and all's well. For the use the OP is thinking of, fishing, what could be easier?
Is that a corn cob falcon bowl? I was unaware such things existed.