PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I'm the poor schmuck with package #3. And I've NEVER had a postmaster come to my house for any reason. Last I checked importing two tins of no longer produced tobacco at 100grams and less than $200 valuation was not prohibited from any country to the USA. I would gladly pay the tax on whatever they think is necessary based on the content description. But unfortunately my package and the contents have been denoted as delivered and henceforth "lost" going back for customs inspection. So I imagine I'll never see them again. I did manage to snap a photo of the two tins before the postmaster arrived.

Highest price I've ever paid for a single photo ?
What's done is done but did he have a warrant? I would not handover something of mine to the government without a piece of paper signed by a judge saying that they have the authority to seize it. I would also not let an government agent pass my front door without a warrant. The fact that the package got "lost" after you handed it over tells me that they were not acting in good faith.

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
Isn't it that Danes go food and more importantly alcohol shopping in Germany? I wonder what are the limits there, but have been told by Danish friends that it's common to drive across the border and come back with a car full of liquor. Also heard of Germans driving to Poland etc.

I lived close to the Czech border from time to time and everyone there went cigarette shopping in Cheb. But the craziest thing I've ever seen was on the Helsinki-Tallinn ferry. The limit on beer is 110 litres, and on every ferry there were hundreds of Finns with handtrucks purchasing exactly that amount of Estonian Pilsener ?

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
What's done is done but did he have a warrant? I would not handover something of mine to the government without a piece of paper signed by a judge saying that they have the authority to seize it. I would also not let an government agent pass my front door without a warrant. The fact that the package got "lost" after you handed it over tells me that they were not acting in good faith.
I considered this for a second but also understand that if they suspect something a fed would show up with a warrant and I'm not about to open my door to that. And I did not let the postmaster through my door.

So two tins of tobacco is not worth opening my door to anyone.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Package 3 - Two tins plus sample. Posted Feb 8th

If you found package 2 unpleasant, it really gets weird with package 3. Package changed labels in Brussels on Feb 16th, arrived at Chicago airport Feb 23rd (same as package 1!!) and was processed there. Then it travelled back and forth FOUR times between two regional USPS facilities. On March 12 it was finally delivered to the buyer. Happy end?

So we thought. The buyer reported that later that day the postmaster returned to his house and wanted the parcel back as it allegedly hadn't cleared customs (There is actually a difference in USPS tracking between 1 and 3 - for 1 it states "out of customs" which is missing at 3). Since then, its whereabouts are unknown.

I couldn't imagine that situation. If I didn't physically sign for a package, it would probably go something like:

Postmaster on my doorstep: "We need the package back."

Me (Option A): "We have covid and are under quarantine. Fvck off for a couple weeks then come back."

Me (Option B): "I didn't receive a package today. Wanna go out back and yell at squirrels? I LOVE yelling at squirrels, especially the ones wearing invisibility cloaks. Say, do you think purple is a friendly color with green and red or should we mark the tires on our car for classic glitter potrzebie? I won the lotto but forgot to play, etc., etc."

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I have attempted to send small amounts of flake tobacco to my Brother in Law who lives in Wisconsin on three separate occasions all three packages never arrived.Going the opposite way I have never had problems with commercial purchases of tobacco they always arrive.

Reactions: BROBS and JOHN72

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I had an experience with the postmaster this morning.

Recently I ordered the last of st Bruno available in NZ - not going to discuss what I paid for it ?. I received a tracking update to say “out for delivery” and started to get excited.

While we were having a cup of tea and all still in our robes (yes like @mso489 I’m a man of the cloth), the postie pulls up our driveway. I jump from my seat and run outside to see what he has for me...

He is somewhat familiar with the letterbox ritual, says no tobacco today mate and proceeds to give me 5 huge boxes my wife has ordered. WTF it is I have no idea. He then gives a wave and drives off, with salutations for the long weekend. “See ya Tuesday”. Bugger.

About a minute later he pulls back up the drive with my parcel and a big grin on his face. “Oh you mean this tobacco, gotcha!”

Hopefully we’ll see another wee anecdote similar to this in a few weeks time when your postmaster hand delivers your parcel back and yarns about his grandfather smoking bells.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
?

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I have orders sent by SP, about 400 euros. And I'm afraid I lose the packages in Spain..........I'II finish supplying myself at my local tobacco shop......And I'II close the tobacco internet shopping, yes follow this shit................:mad:
I always receive them without problems, but I don't order like this.

I order three tins per shipment, I get about 38 USD with shipping, never more than 3 tins

With this you ensure a few things:

that your orders arrive or are not inspected by customs.

If an order is lost, you don't lose too much of your money.

If the Customs inspects it and puts you the duties and taxes, the amount will be small, that is to say, that they can put you about 20 USD of taxes in one of your shipments?..you pay it and that's it, it is not so much.

But an order of 400 USD if customs stops it, they will put you some tariffs for about 200 USD, calculating by high and roughly.

In Spain it is illegal for stores (tobacconists) to sell tobacco online, but it is not illegal to buy it and bring it from other countries, you just have to pay the taxes, if you stop it to Customs, if not, then you get it without them.

I'll give you another example, I bought a boat kit for a model in a store in the USA, I was stopped by customs, it cost about 300USD, I do not remember exactly, and they made me pay VAT + postal fees for tramitation, almost 104 euros.

It happens with everything, not only with tobacco. Customs is random, sometimes they pass the shipments and sometimes they stop and inspect them.

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I thought there was a free commerce treaty between the UK and the EU. Taxes from incoming merchandise from the UK into Greece?
Yes, that's right, with Spain too.

My wife bought a product on ebay that cost her about 40 pounds, for import costs, etc. post office charged 28 euros ....

almost as much as the package

The post office charges the import directly.

I am waiting for the last two pipes that Larryson has made, I bought them myself, and I think they will give me a bad surprise.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
I always receive them without problems, but I don't order like this.

I order three tins per shipment, I get about 38 USD with shipping, never more than 3 tins

With this you ensure a few things:

that your orders arrive or are not inspected by customs.

If an order is lost, you don't lose too much of your money.

If the Customs inspects it and puts you the duties and taxes, the amount will be small, that is to say, that they can put you about 20 USD of taxes in one of your shipments?..you pay it and that's it, it is not so much.

But an order of 400 USD if customs stops it, they will put you some tariffs for about 200 USD, calculating by high and roughly.

In Spain it is illegal for stores (tobacconists) to sell tobacco online, but it is not illegal to buy it and bring it from other countries, you just have to pay the taxes, if you stop it to Customs, if not, then you get it without them.

I'll give you another example, I bought a boat kit for a model in a store in the USA, I was stopped by customs, it cost about 300USD, I do not remember exactly, and they made me pay VAT + postal fees for tramitation, almost 104 euros.

It happens with everything, not only with tobacco. Customs is random, sometimes they pass the shipments and sometimes they stop and inspect them.
They tried to charge me 400 euros for an order a little bit less than 200 dollars. There was a pipe in it, a Rattrays morta, which was on sale. What shipping method do you use for the small orders? The tins are 50 grams?

Status
Not open for further replies.