PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have to say I thought this was an early April fool story until I read further. I've never heard of this 'whiskey fungus' (and neither has the OED) but apparently it's commonplace close to distilleries all over the world.

Of course some lovers of Kentucky whiskey might have their own thoughts on the Jack Daniels devil's fungus :rolleyes:.

Regards,

Jay.

F

fMf Piper

Didn't know anything about this until I moved to Kentucky. There are numerous distilleries in our area, with the closest being about 30 miles from our farm. We're far enough away that we don't get any of the fungus issues, however, as @cosmicfolklore said, when your near one of the distilleries, you can smell the bourbon being distilled.

Our local feed mill sells corn to the distilleries, and then collects and sells the dried distiller's grains from them as a high portien feed supplement. Let me just say, they smell amazing!

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Is that the stuff that has a natural form of LSD? Back on the distant past people attached all sorts spiritual explanations to the fact that they were meeting God face to face after ingesting. Turns out they were tripping balls.
That's ergot on rye, it caused sickness and is a powerful vasoconstrictor, the only hallucinations usually experienced by effected individuals were that their hands and feet were on fire, as they lost circulation.

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
That's ergot on rye, it caused sickness and is a powerful vasoconstrictor, the only hallucinations usually experienced by effected individuals were that their hands and feet were on fire, as they lost circulation.
Well as a reformed drunk I can attest to conversations with people who weren't there. I may have lit my feet on fire as well.

Reactions: canucklehead