PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
30 years of age, 6ft 1in, 210, been smoking a pipe for a little over a year now (I never inhale on purpose). Sometimes I smoke bowls 5 times in a week and sometimes I don't smoke at all. Really just depends on how tired I am after work and how the weather is looking (cant smoke indoors) as to whether or not I light up. I smoked cigarettes on and off for around 7 years (definitely inhaled), tried the E-cigarettes for about 2, and used chewing tobacco for 4 years.

I am not the most physically fit guy out there, but I am out and about a lot and I work a physical warehouse job at the moment so that helps burn some calories. Haven't noticed anything negative with the pipe tobacco other then the occasional burnt tongue. If I am being honest I think the chewing tobacco did the most damage. Basically wore a good bit of my gums away and started giving me REALLY awful heartburn/acid reflux which is probably the biggest reason for quitting.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If I am being honest I think the chewing tobacco did the most damage. Basically wore a good bit of my gums away and started giving me REALLY awful heartburn/acid reflux which is probably the biggest reason for quitting.
Anything wintergreen will leave me with heartburn for days.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I'm 41, 6' 00", 210 lbs (still a little overweight but I used to be 238. I smoke 2-3 bowls/day, although right now it's down to 3-4/week because our weather in Arizona is not very conducive to outdoor smoking during the summer. I have never been a regular cig smoker, although I've had a few in my day, and I'll have an occasional cigar as well.

I don't notice tobacco affecting my health in any way, shape, or form. I'm not naive enough to think that smoking is healthy, but I feel that my currently level of moderation is likely not enough to have a significant impact. I do notice that if I smoke in the car regularly I will have some bronchial irritation, which I ascribe to second-hand smoke, but that's easily fixed by not smoking in the car.

If I am ever in a situation where the tobacco is affecting my health, I will either quit or scale back to an appropriate moderation.

It likely helps that I am quite active, hiking and mountain biking regularly, as well as tennis, etc.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I started smoking at 13 smoked til 35. I chewed from 16 til 42yrs old. I smoked a pipe for alittle over 3 yrs. I got sick last November after many different dr visits and none of them knowing what was wrong I had all but given up. I finally found a doctor who took the time to figure out what the problem was. My kidneys and liver had shutdown and were backing up. I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, my heart is at 15% after a lengthy hospital stay in the ICU I am finally back home not sure what the future will hold but i can not smoke or drink anymore. but I am alive for now

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
So, folks will pontificate endlessly on health concerns and those same people refused to mask or get vaccinated.
Late 30's. I smoke my pipe often but not 'all day' (or not all day, every day haha). I have some serious health issues that cropped up well before my 3years of smoking a pipe...most stem around high blood pressure/heart stuff. Smoking a pipe doesn't seem to have an effect -laying off white flour, sugar, getting exercise, getting sleep, taking my meds (!!!) and maintaining a low stress level sure seem to, though. I take my BP all the time. I told my cardiologist I like to smoke a pipe ...he rolled his eyes a bit and moved on. Mouthwise -if my mouth feels beat up, I take a break...smoking slow/cool pretty much takes this out of the equation totally. ...still, I am not pretending pipe smoking is healthy...it just doesn't seem to be much of a cause for concern for me at this point.
Pipe smoking=Less Stress!

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
I started smoking at 13 smoked til 35. I chewed from 16 til 42yrs old. I smoked a pipe for alittle over 3 yrs. I got sick last November after many different dr visits and none of them knowing what was wrong I had all but given up. I finally found a doctor who took the time to figure out what the problem was. My kidneys and liver had shutdown and were backing up. I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, my heart is at 15% after a lengthy hospital stay in the ICU I am finally back home not sure what the future will hold but i can not smoke or drink anymore. but I am alive for now
Sounds like you took a beating friend. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and as many years as you can spare!

Reactions: Old School 3319

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Good afternoon fellow pipe smokers.

it has been just over a year since I picked up my pipe after a 15 year hiatus when I fist experimented with pipe smoking and I have to say, I have finally found the enjoyment in it I always knew was there.

Lately potential health concerns have begun to weigh on me, so I thought I’d ping the community and see how pipe smoking has impacted members health.
If anyone is willing, I’d love to hear how long you’ve been piping, how often you lite a bowl, whether you inhale, any noticeable or diagnosed negative health effects and whether cigarettes have or are a part of your life.
Clearly this is not an cold hard fact study, this is just members sharing there experience with the understanding that every person’s health is different and there are unseen factors that can contribute to a persons health beyond pipe smoking.

I hope I have perked the interest of others and the value of such transparency can been seen.

Thank you to all those who read and a special thanks to all those who participate.

Myself:
Piping 1.5 years
1 bowl every 1-2 weeks
Do not inhale
No noticeable health impacts
Never smoked cigarettes
cheach many have brought this up, including myself - there are some threads regarding health on here
bottom line - you'll know if smoking like anything else is causing you problems
see a doctor - smoking is terrible just like drinking and inhaling sunscreen
I was also having severe health problems this year - i took a break from booze and tobacco - ended up making me more miserable - luckily it's passed
smoking is no question bad for the health - and it's even worse if you inhale
but it's also got benefits as it's relaxing and life is kind of short already - the bad guys are sucking the life out of everything these days regardless so IDGAF "no sex no drugs no wine no women...everyone around me is a total stranger"