PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I just commited to buying this Nording Freehand. I know absolutely nothing about them, but the guy wanted $25. Can anyone educate me?
nording-600x450.jpg

Jul 15, 2011
Got one that's a good smoker, a big unfinished free hand. Got another one that needs some tlc because I smoked a goopy aromatic in it but it's serviceable enough. For the money you paid it was a fair purchase

I have six Nordings, and all are good smokers. I have also had the pleasure of spending a couple of days with him at pipe events. I am not sure what you want to know specifically.
His pipes are always priced affordably, even his high grade pipes are still priced reasonably, even the really old ones. I have never heard someone say that they got one that was a bad pipe.

Most of his pipes are farmed out to other pipe factories, mostly in Poland according to him. I get confused in that he stamps handmade on his obvious factory pipes. He has gone a long time without having made pipes himself at least as of last year. He likes hunting, dogs, drinking to excess, and he tells really long jokes. All in all, great pipes, no hype, and a great guy. I love my Nording pipes, and I will continue to buy more.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Thanks guys,
This particular one has "Nording" "4" and "Denmark" stamped on it. No word on its age, but the owner says its only been smoked 2-3 times.
I assume the 4 is a reference to size.
Good to hear that they tend to be good smokers. I'll get it home tonight, clean it and report back on it tomorrow.

I have never heard of Nording putting a size on his pipes. He has used several different grading systems over the years with various "lines" of pipes. A-F being his most used grading system, or his King, Queen, Jack.... It really depends on the year it was made. He has had several different numbering systems for his production pipes, with the numbers designating the shapes.

But, I am not knowledgeable enough about this particular type of freehand to know what the 4 means.
Enjoy, I bet it smokes just fine for you.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
$25 is a pretty good deal on a Nording pipe. I paid $140 for mine. It smokes great, have no problems at all with mine. Will likely buy another at some point, but I'll enjoy the one I have for now. I'm sure you'll enjoy smoking from it!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Cosmic,
Here's the bottom of the pipe with the stamping. If anyone can shed some light on it, I'd appreciate it.
nording-bottom-600x450.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
That's the Forum Matrix Advance numeral.
During your first year of ownership, you have to mail it to four different forum members for a week of wild aromatic and Lakeland smoking.
Only then, will the magic of the briar bestow upon you its many wondrous treasures.
I'll help you get started. PMing my address now! :nana:
Really, though. Nice looking pipe.
jay-roger.jpg

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
haha Jay :rofl: Bassbug, I bet you want to bring Jay along fly fishing so he can walk through the waters before you cast :)

Jan 8, 2013
25 bucks for a graded Nording? Deal of the century there in my opinion. I love Nordings. Mine are all great smokers. The 4 is the grade. Nording's most recent grading system is the number system up to 20. As Cosmic mentioned there is a grade system of King, Jack, Queen, Ace, and Joker, but that grading system is for a particular line of pipes called Royal Flush. A-F was the grade system used before the number system in which A was the highest and F was the lowest. You got a great deal on that grade 4 Nording. Enjoy the heck out of it. :clap:

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I have a cobra my wife bought me that's great for flakes.
I also have an naked freehand that I'm really starting to like.
Grats on your Nording!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Anthony,
In the 1-20 grading, is 1 the highest or lowest grade?
BTW, it was $25 CDN, so more like $20 for you.

Jan 8, 2013
Anthony,
In the 1-20 grading, is 1 the highest or lowest grade?
1 is the lowest grade, 20 the highest.
BTW, it was $25 CDN, so more like $20 for you.
Very nice! :clap: From the couple of photos you showed, I'd say it looks well taken care of. A polish on that stem and it would be a beauty.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
I keep my huge Nording Signature by the bed night stand as a back up with my 12 gauge street broom. Good war clubs, these. :wink:
Bought several of these large free hands, just couldn't get a good smoke out of them. YMMV.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Well, I finally have it my hands and it certainly could use some TLC. Oxidized stem that needs a polish and the briar part has what appears to be dust on it and needs a good cleaning and polishing. The chamber is in great shape and appears to have had maybe 5-10 smokes on it. Looks like its time to break out the buffing wheels on the dremel and go to work.
Its definitely bigger than any of the rest of my pipes though. Will take some getting used to it.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
You can never go wrong with a Nording pipe. I have had a few of them.

last year I picked up a beautiful flame grain pipe for around one hundred bucks.

If the pipe was a big name brand from England or Italy the pipe would cost several hundred for this.

And it smokes better than some of my other pipes I paid way more dollars for.

on a side note the Rocky Patel pipes are made under Nording contract.
I think I will always have a couple Nording pipes in my collection. :)

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I've known Erik for about 15 years and we've had the opportunity to talk quite a bit. One of the things that he told me about his pipes that really caught my attention was that he prefers to buy briar that was harvested higher up on the hillsides. He explained that since the plants high up don't get the runoff when it rains, they don't get as much water, which results in harder wood. I can't verify the accuracy of that, but it speaks well of him that he has standards of that sort. I have a number of his pipes and one thing I can say for sure is that the ones I own are very light for their large size.
Russ

Reactions: drayve85

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nordings have been dependable and quality smokers for me, from an econo "Ericksen" to a up-market Zebra hunting pipe (gift from my wife) and another one or two between. I think you did extremely well on price, though apparently the pipe is shelf worn, few smokes but not maintained. If you treat yourself in the future to a new Nording, I think you'll be entirely pleased, at any price level.

Jan 8, 2013
I have a number of his pipes and one thing I can say for sure is that the ones I own are very light for their large size.
I find this true as well. Some of my Nordings are quite large, but surprisingly light.

Status
Not open for further replies.