PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
The nicest coloring progression I've seen on a meerschaum! @LeafErikson, what blends are you smoking in this pipe?
It's mostly just dumb luck with the meerschaum that was used I think. 200 isn't all that many bowls and this is quite a bit of coloring.

I've mostly been smoking Pegasus, Opening Night, & Old Gowrie. Pretty much all very dry blends.

I'm blowing the moisture back into the bowl when I'm done and, if I remember, wiping out the chamber after I'm done smoking. Despite wiping out the bowl, I've already had to cut the cake back a couple of times, which has always been my experience. Sometimes I forget to clean it and just leave dottle in the bowl overnight. I run pipe cleaners through the stem before lighting up a new bowl to wick away any remaining moisture from the stem and it passes a pipe cleaner easily. I don't think I'm being particularly fastidious or particularly negligent in my cleaning habits. I usually smoke 3-4 bowls in it a day and it has a small chamber. Probably 1.2-1.3in x .75in.

Jun 23, 2019
It's coloring in a very similar fashion to my Tekin that's a similar shape. The static-like pattern should be really interesting once you get into that dark brown/black phase.

Not exactly the best pics, but here she is:
XNpOBkvh.jpg

1eyFxbIh.jpg

She's a little worse for wear after I chewed through the original stem, got a cheapo replacement and a silver band to break up the lines a little bit so it doesn't look as "off" if that makes sense.

I keep my meer bowls pretty clean and cake-free so coloring has been slow. This is about 2 years of pretty consistent smoke, a little out of favor lately but you've got me back in a Tekin mood!

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Not exactly the best pics, but here she is:
XNpOBkvh.jpg

1eyFxbIh.jpg

She's a little worse for wear after I chewed through the original stem, got a cheapo replacement and a silver band to break up the lines a little bit so it doesn't look as "off" if that makes sense.

I keep my meer bowls pretty clean and cake-free so coloring has been slow. This is about 2 years of pretty consistent smoke, a little out of favor lately but you've got me back in a Tekin mood!
Yeah that thing does look pretty similar in shape. The silver band is a great idea. I’ll likely get another Tekin pipe at some point.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The quality of meerschaum is excellent!! That is some of the most perfect coloring I have seen.
Beautiful!
Oddly enough one of their final pieces of 2015 prior to the company's temporary disbanding.

Reactions: Jef

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
That’s a beautiful pipe and has colored really nicely! I just ordered a custom one from him. Was yours translucent or standard quality block? Almost looks like a high grade translucent one!

Reactions: Steddy

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
I’ve smoked this Tekin pipe exclusively since Dec 12 and have smoked around 110 bowls in it. I’ll keep smoking it and updating this thread with any further coloring. I had a bowl in a briar today and will do that every so often but this will be the primary pipe I smoke for the next few months at least. I’m not exactly a photography expert so apologies if the white balance isn’t exact but the pictures seem to reflect what my eyes have been seeing.

View attachment 279400
0 smokes

View attachment 279399
45ish smokes

View attachment 279403
65-70 smokes

View attachment 279395
View attachment 279396
View attachment 279406
110 smokes

View attachment 279401
Before reaming