Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I never heard of this type of wave before. The Teahupoo in Tahiti - the world's heaviest wave:
rni43.jpg

Check out this video:
http://vimeo.com/35328567

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The hard part would be trying to avoid going over the falls. If you manage to get into the swell and down a bit, you wouldn't even feel the close out.

They resemble the waves at "Pounders" on Oahu. The wave stands right up at the beaches edge and you simply step into the face.... but, like I mentioned above... you don't want to go over the falls... that wouldn't be pretty. 8O

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Don't know if you're aware Lawrence, but the north side of Oahu has been "Off Limits" to

Marines and Sailors for years now. To many getting hurt and missing duty.

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
I have been surfing for 33 years and would only go if I had terminal cancer.

sinister

Might Stick Around
Oct 3, 2012
Central FL
Im a hardcore surfer of almost 24+ years now. Teahupoo (pronounced Cho-poo) or "Chopes" as all the surfers call it is an interesting wave due to the depth that the wave comes in on (very deep) and them rolls onto a 3ft deep razor reef shelf and breaks. The wave stands up vertical and shows no mercy to mistakes. It breaks on southwest swells. It's also a wave you typically dont paddle into when it starts to crank and get big....you have to tow in with a jetski assist else you will never get the speed and timing to be able to make the drop. Guys that do fall on it hope to hell that they make it over the reef and get washed into the bay to which you need a boat or jet ski assist to get out.
While it is dubbed the heaviest, there are other spots that match it. A place called Shipsterns in Tasmania almost makes Chopes look like an easy wave. Shipsterns does the same thing... comes in on deep water and then breaks on a granite slab only a few feet deep.
There is also a place called Cyclops in west Aussy that makes both Chopes and Shipsterns look like childs play.
scott_thehammer_lgb.jpg

You can check out Chopes in action back from the 2011 "Code Red" swell at the Billabong Pro. Watched that contest live and was glued to the screen. Balls. Those guys had em. Teahupoo translates to "server the head" in english. You can understand why after watching the vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIBgWI_BTyM

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Don't know if you're aware Lawrence, but the north side of Oahu has been "Off Limits" to

Marines and Sailors for years now. To many getting hurt and missing duty.
I hope I didn't have anything to do with that.

I used to "body surf" nearly every day on the North Shore.

Braggadocio alert!

I was ranked #4 in the world while I was stationed there in Kaneohe.

Sadly that was many moons ago.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Saw that on Reddit yesterday...crazy stuff. Over 10 people dead in the last 10 years I think I read?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, that is pretty cool Lawrence.

We visited the North Shore a few years ago, unfortunately in June, it was like a lake (but excellent snorkeling). I attempted to surf in Maui with a longboard and 8' waves, but just paddling out wore me out and I only caught a few waves before collapsing. I was the only hauli (?sp?)out that morning and was getting the evil eye from the local hotshots. An older Hawaiian gentleman said "stick wid me brudder" and helped me position correctly and keep clear of the hot shots. Trying to surf an 8' wave at 50 yrs of age was a sobbering experience but at least I gave it a shot. I should have rented a board in Oahu were the waves were easy 3-4' rollers, i would have had a lot more fun..

gageploungin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2012
could you imagine getting sucked up into the hydraulics of something like that??? **cleanup aisle 6....bring a spatula**

Status
Not open for further replies.