PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I prefer the tea not taste like smoke because, you know, I'm getting that from the pipe.
I agree with you completely when it comes to drinking tea while smoking. I found the pipe overwhelms the delicate flavor of the Lapsang. However, I like smoked tea for the same reasons I enjoy the flavor of Latakia, and find the smoked teas very satisfying when enjoyed apart from tobacco.
I've been finding the entire process surrounding tea to be very reminiscent of the ritual of pipe smoking, and the smoked tea supports the effect, as I load the dry leaves into the infuser, fill and heat the kettle, and slowly sip from the cup. It "scratches the same itch", so to speak.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
I love Coffee Pu'erh I got from David's Tea. Don't know if anyone else sells it. Basically it's a cooked Chinese black tea with flavours of vanilla, cocao, chocolate and others infused, and coffee beans.
From their site:
Pu’erh has come a long way since its heyday as a tribute tea to Chinese emperors a thousand years back. It’s still got that legendary taste, but the new “cooked” varieties are really something special. Our blend helps mark this milestone by combining pu’erh with coffee bean, chocolate, vanilla and almond flavour. Even your coffee-addict friends will go crazy for it.
Next time in town I have to get some Lapsang, that smokiness sounds delicious in a tea.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
For what it is worth, I purchase all my tea from Simpson & Vail I have found their customer service to be 2nd to none
I had a Tea TAD attack, and on stephenw's recommendation I purchased several teas from Simpson & Vail. I was very pleased with the experience, and was delighted to find they offer several other smoked varieties, including Morgan Blend, Smokey Siberian Blend, and others. Their Russian Caravan is not smoked, but has great flavor. I also highly recommend their Creamy Earl Grey.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
My hands-down favorite has been Chinese green with jasmine. Strictly speaking this should be a "scented" rather than a "flavoured" tea--rolled in a drum with jasmine petals rather than sprayed with a flavoring oil, as I understand. If you're accustomed to parsing a thousand delicate and distinct flavors in a glass of wine, you'll find this to be much to floral, but I don't have that kind of palate.
My number two is Earl Grey. There's a wonderful tea shop in the Old Market if you ever make it to Omaha.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I'll always believe that green tea is one of the best ways to cleanse the palate between different tobaccos. It helps that I also like the stuff, somewhat contrary to character.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For black tea, I like P&G tips. Green tea is also a good complement to some blends. For herbal, a friend introduced me to peach tea with grapefruit slices added, which is real interesting and mild enough not to upstage a smoke.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Just got a tin of Lapsang Souchong yesterday. In a word, WOW.
What fantastic flavours. Wifey thinks I'm brewing tar. Lol
I see references to drinking this with milk, anyone do that? Normally I drink commercial black tea sweetened with milk but not too sure about mixing this smokey flavour with milk. Maybe I'll try it anyway.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
I'm a total ignoramus when it comes to tea; however, I do drink Earl Gray in the afternoons and it goes well with English blends. I also love Scottish Breakfast, as well as Thistle tea, which is quite malty.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
I very much into tea. Lanpsang Souchong is very good with Englishes, as noted. I have Puehr, oolongs, jasmine, greens and herbals. Tea is constant companion to my smoke of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.