PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Just to keep the flow of information going, I just got this email from the electronics site, NewEgg.
They are based in California and the message pertains to merchandise sold to people in Texas. So, don't be hatin' on our favorite vendors for their inevitable compliance with these newly adjusted standards.
Dear Customer,
Last year the U.S. Supreme Court changed the law regarding sales tax collection for e-commerce transactions by out-of-state sellers. What this means for customers such as yourself is that, instead of being responsible for reporting and paying your own use tax on such purchases, e-commerce companies like Newegg are now required to collect sales tax from you at the time of purchase.
To comply with the Supreme Court ruling, Newegg will begin collecting sales tax on most purchases shipped to Texas on October 1, 2019. Please note that there will be no sales tax collected on purchases processed on or before September 30, 2019.
This change in policy doesn't affect the amount of tax customers owe - it simply requires that Newegg collects taxes up front. Visit our Sales/Use Tax page to Learn More.
If you are a tax-exempt organization or reseller, we encourage you to follow these instructions regarding tax exemptions when purchasing from Newegg.
At Newegg, we greatly appreciate your loyalty over the years, and we hope to earn your continued patronage by doing what we do best: delivering great deals on the best tech around.
Best Regards,
Your Newegg Customer Service Team
jay-roger.jpg

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Sales tax is charged by how much you sell into a State. Once you hit certain thresholds, you must collect State Sales tax.
Collecting sales tax is horribly complicated and cumbersome for the vendors. Some States make the vendors account and disperse collected funds BY COUNTY. Think about that.
Pretty soon sales tax will just be part of the internet. I'd say 2 years tops.

Reactions: jravenwood

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Incurring sales tax liability through e-commerce is entirely your choice "milehighpiper." You agree to it simply by voluntarily participating. You "elected" to incur such. So, you are properly represented I believe.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm pretty sure that since we actually have elected representatives, there's not even a rabbit hole to go down this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.