PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I'm wondering if 42 years of cigs has made it harder for me to taste smoking tobacco the way everyone seems to. Most of my sensory enjoyment is from smelling the raw tobacco in whatever container it's in, and the smoke while it's burning. I have been piping only 7 months, but in that time have collected and smoked over 80 blends of every variety and strength. I'm liking Balkan/English the most, but I want to TASTE the tobacco more. Thoughts?

Jan 8, 2013
I think everyone here will tell you, if you're a cigarette smoker or former cigarette smoker, stop smoking like one. Slow down, and don't suck on that stem like you're trying to get a thick ice cream shake through it either. If you have to, your packing too tight.
Also, might I suggest trying McClelland Blue Mountain. There is some crazy flavor in that Balkan, that sneaks up on you and changes periodically throughout the bowl. It truly is a fun, flavorful smoke in my opinion.

Mar 1, 2014
I'm only six months into my Piping career (never smoked), but to these taste buds most of the stuff I try is the same. There are plenty of Aromatic flavours, but in a pure tobacco it takes something special like Escudo or a heavy Latakia blend to differentiate one blend from the next in any significant way.

It took me a while to acclimate to flavors in transitioning from cigarettes to the pipe. I had to quit inhaling altogether to taste the subtle nuances. And, even then, I had to slow way down, taking the time to force myself to taste every drizzle of smoke as it just passively enters my mouth. The slower you smoke the more nicotine you'll absorb from the smoke. If you puff, you are just wasting the smoke to theatrics, and you're not going to get all of the flavors from puffing like this.

A pipe is very different from cigarettes. It's all about the flavor, and the more you relish and take in the flavor, the more nicotine you'll be able to enjoy.
But, for those who do puff, there's no rules. I just don't see how you can taste all of the nuances or even absorb any nicotine that way. Smoke in the air is wasted tobacco, nicotine abuse, IMO :puffy:

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'm another former non-smoker, so distinguishing the subtler flavors is taking time. It's a different set of flavors, and just as it was when I started drinking single malts, it's easier to get the broad strokes first (between Islays and Lowlands, for example, or between Burley and Latakia), and then start teasing apart the differences within the categories (Lagavulin vs. Laphroag, or Luxury Bullseye Flake vs. Escudo).
Give it time, keep a journal if it helps, and don't worry overmuch - as you get a handle on the intricacies of packing, lighting, sipping/puffing, tamping, and tasting, it will come to you.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Another former cigarette smoker here as we'll. I have often wondered the same thing. I have heard that smoking cigs kills your taste bud to foods but when you quite your taste buds get better and food begins to taste better. I would think that it is the same here. I have noticed that if I am going to try a new blend and really want to taste it I will not smoke anything for a few days and then when I smoke the blend the flavor really pops out.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Whenever I try a new blend I find it helpful to do about 10 slow puffs with my eyes closed. I find I can pick out the flavours much quicker, and sometimes can even detect the room note. Often, I'll even cup my hand on the side of my nose and I'll get even more of the aroma. It works well for me, and I'm fairly certain once I started doing this my puffing cadence also slowed down. YMMV.

buffalopat

Lurker
Jul 15, 2014
I smoked cigarettes for a long time and quit six years ago. I smoked cigars for the last 4 years and recently transitioned to pipes. I have a pretty refined palate as I have done tasting in other areas in the past (i.e. coffee tasting when I worked for a coffee company, wine tasting, whiskey tasting...etc). "Taste" as you are referring to it is multi-faceted. It is a lot more than what you taste in your mouth. Your taste buds actually only register sweet, sour, bitter, salty, and savory (think heavy cream here). Where you get the flavors from are your sinuses.
So, first, if you don't retrohale, you should learn. This is simply blowing some of the smoke out of your nose when exhaling. This should be second nature for you since you have smoked cigarettes for a long time. It may take a little practice since you are not actually inhaling the smoke.
Second, if you are/or have been recently ill, this will most certainly affect your ability to distinguish flavors. We are in the midst of allergy season right now, so congestion in ears, nose, throat will all hinder your ability to taste.
Third, taste is very subjective. What I recognize as sweet or earthy or chocolate or pepper, may not be what you interpret it as. That being said, when I read reviews from people who say they taste vanilla bean from Madagascar, I think they are full of it.
The point of all of this, I feel, is to find a flavor profile you enjoy. Then relax.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Well I guess I'm mostly doing it right. Just about everything you guys said is what I've been practicing, and I AM tasting much more than when I first started. I do puff several times during the char light but then set the pipe down to cool before tamping and relighting. Seems to work best that way for me, and believe me it has been the most fun I've had since retiring. With all the online research on pipes and tobacco sites and buying and selling on heebay. Thanks for your time partners. Stan

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Thanks gents, I'll keep practicing. It's not a partime thing for me. I smoke 8 to 12 bowls everyday and usually one sometime during the night. That's how much fun it is.

fjneslage

Lurker
Dec 8, 2013
I went from mon aromatic to aromatic blends with at least medium strength. You might want to try Sutliff Black Vanilla, Sutliff Mountain pass or maybe C &. D Green River Vanilla. Any medium or better Aromatic should solve your problem and don't forget to smoke it slow.

Fred

fjneslage

Lurker
Dec 8, 2013
I went from mon aromatic to aromatic blends with at least medium strength. You might want to try Sutliff Black Vanilla, Sutliff Mountain pass or maybe C &. D Green River Vanilla. Any medium or better Aromatic should solve your problem and don't forget to smoke it slow.

Fred

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
+1 on BuffaloPat's advice to learn to retrohale. After years of napalm-ish hot sauce and way too much whisk(e)y my tongue is basically a strip of dried leather with all the sensitivity of a drunken dead-blow hammer. When I learned to "snork" the world opened up; I gently, lazily retro probably 50-60% of my draws and the flavors are just so bold and present... :)

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
As a former heavy cigarette smoker (RYO), and occasional relapser, I don't buy it. You just have to find the right style of blend for your palette. I recommend stout VaPers. I don't care how many packs of cigarettes you smoke, if you can't get flavor out of - for example - GL Pease's Fillmore or Cumberland, you're doing something wrong. Once you acclimate to pipe smoking with some bold, flavorful blends, it will be easier to seek out and appreciate more nuanced blends (including well-done aromatics).
[All that said, if one is a heavy smoker of modern, corporate cigarettes, there may well be something in the chemical mix that impacts the taste buds. In that case, you might want to switch to quality RYO tobacco for awhile before delving back into pipe tobacco.]

elduderino

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2014
St.Paul, MN
I thank you good fellas for the valuable input here! I'm a light cig smoker. By light I mean I smoke 3-5 cigs a day of American Spirits. I giving thought to the above mentioned topic last night as I smoked my 2nd bowl ever.
I'm smoking Captain Black White (CBW?) from a new Dr Grabow Freehand. I feel I made a great choice on the pipe! The bacci not so much. I'm able to sustain a good pipe temp for a long time and receive pleasant sips for 40 mins on a half bowl. So I think I'm getting the lighting and smoking technique down quite well! Hope I'm not being too cocky here!
I able to get some surprising flavors from the CBW occasionally. Yet it would fade after a couple draws. Cheap bacci I assume.
I'm stopping in at my B&M today. I've got $15 to invest. Please give me some names of some bacci that has more demension and wee bit bolder. But don't kill me!
Thanks fellas.

elduderino

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2014
St.Paul, MN
I'm going to a B&M called Perfect Ash in St Paul, MN. They seem to have a great reputation. The site didn't list any bacci they carried but it did note they have a blender on staff. I'll let y'all know what I come home with soon.
Thanks for the suggestion Sparks!

Status
Not open for further replies.