PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cjmckay

Lurker
Dec 14, 2012
Central Oregon
Gents,

I have been thinking about getting a tasting pipe. either a clay or a porcelain... any thoughts on what is better?
but I have lost the site I was looking at the porcelain pipe... lepelter?? sp??. ideas?

any how what then? if the tobacco tastes so much better in the tasting pipe than in the Briar. why not just keep smoking in the tasting pipe? or do you just dedicate a briar to that blend? I have not found my desert island blend yet and have lots I am still wanting to try.. so that might be a lot of pipes.. well I do have a lot already LOL. so I guess I could just dedicate a pipe to a blend....HMMM

Last edited by a moderator:
Every single one of my pipes is a tasting pipe. These tasting pipes are an interesting concept, but mainly, IMO, they are designed to sell them to newbies having a hard time tasting tobaccos. Maybe there are some blenders who would use a clay or tasting pipe, but...

Just learn to differentiate blends in your real pipes. Most likely these things will end up in the very back of a drawer somewhere like mine did. Save yourself the hassle.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I think its just a waste of cash for the normal person. As said, just dont trial a delicate blend in one that is relegated to lat or lakeland bombs.

If I want to sample a blend I just pick a smaller bowl pipe and/or throw some meer chips in to take up space. Its not rocket science. Its just a way to sell you something you dont need.

Reactions: anotherbob

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I keep a medium-large clay mainly for tasting, and I keep it clean, putting it in hot coals when it gets a bit tarry. I personally would not want a lepeltier for tasting because they look to me difficult to clean with that double wall chamber and I doubt they would take the coals treatment, tho I don’t know that, having never tried it.

Anyway, a clay a will allow you to taste the nuance and complexity of a blend or a blender in a way other pipes will not. I have considered smoking only clays for this reason. That said, I like the convenience of pipes made of briar and cob and some hardwoods. Clays can be a pain to smoke—literally if the clay stem sticks to your lips. They’re not the best for clenching either. They get hot, break, etc.

What’s more, briar for me imparts a pleasant flavor.

I use the clays as if they were a microscope. They are useful to get a close detailed “look” but not something I would want to use all the time.

There are good reasons why professional blenders often use plain white clays when tasting. There also good reasons why they use briars for everyday smoking

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Gents,

I have been thinking about getting a tasting pipe. either a clay or a porcelain... any thoughts on what is better?

I have both clay and porcelain (a double-walled Royal Copenhagen)
IMG_1633.jpegIMG_1239.jpeg

Both were unsmoked when I bought them.
The clay after several bowls has still got a “clay-ey” taste.
The porcelain is completely neutral. You can get the walls back to bare porcelain easily with a damp paper towel after each smoke.